New upgrades

Alby0521 · 2907

Offline Alby0521

on: August 27, 2021, 03:46:33 PM
Hello

Is there an idea of when the other upgrades will be released?

Thanks.

AB

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: August 28, 2021, 04:53:07 AM
There is one additional upgrade, and we are collecting some parts for it currently and awaiting feedback on the first upgrade so we can perform any revisions that need to be made, then we will offer the second upgrade.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline debk

Reply #2 on: August 28, 2021, 03:54:05 PM
If it helps the current upgrade is fantastic.  Better bass and smoother sound.  Well worth it and highly recommended

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: August 28, 2021, 04:32:49 PM
Did you find any errors or discrepancies in the manual? 

(Speaking of, I need to put the second upgrade in my BeePre so I can work through that manual one more time!)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline debk

Reply #4 on: August 29, 2021, 12:09:52 AM
No, I did not find any errors in the manual that I recall.  I found the resistor bending instruction very well done and  accurate

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline Alby0521

Reply #5 on: August 29, 2021, 10:46:59 AM
There is one additional upgrade, and we are collecting some parts for it currently and awaiting feedback on the first upgrade so we can perform any revisions that need to be made, then we will offer the second upgrade.

Thank you for the info!

AB

Offline davidnow

Reply #6 on: September 04, 2021, 06:20:28 AM
Hi,
no error found in the manual either. The sound is more dynamic, more real, i love it!
Looking forward next upgrade too.
Thanks
David

Offline Toobuzz

Reply #7 on: September 04, 2021, 06:41:21 AM
I also love the first upgrade!  I found no errors in the manual. The improvements that I noticed were:
1. more bass definition/resolution and grip
2. a better composed midrange presentation. The fore, mid, and back-ground information is better balanced (vocals used to dominate a bit more).
3. a more holographic and 3D image, especially depth.

It’s really interesting that #2 and #3 can be true at the same time. Oh tubes…..

Offline Chris H

Reply #8 on: September 23, 2021, 11:09:29 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread but my question would have the same title.

I am part way through my Kaiju build and will be looking to move onto the BeePre2 next, ordering the Kaiju upgrade at the same time.
I take my time so this gives a few weeks (at least) of running stock Kaiju before doing that upgrade and then same with BeePre and its upgrades.

I intend to include the stepped attenuator upgrade so will order that at the same time as the BeePre and Kaiju upgrade but I am unclear what the final (imminent?) BeePre upgrade is.
I want to order all at the same time as there seems to be a small cost saving and I have to wait a few weeks for things to arrive in the UK.
Will be ready to order soon but am happy to wait for the final upgrade release.

Am not asking for a release date, just clarification on what the upgrade is so I can decide whether to wait or not.

Best
Chris

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: September 24, 2021, 04:43:12 AM
The final upgrade adds an individual hybrid shunt regulator for each channel to provide further isolation from the high voltage DC power supply.  Each channel also gets a buffered output and a balanced output is added.  Accomplishing all of this requires populating the 9 pin socket holes at the rear of the chassis and installing some dual dissimilar triodes. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Chris H

Reply #10 on: September 24, 2021, 05:18:42 AM
Thank you Paul.
If pairing with the Kaiju, what benefit do the buffered and balanced outputs provide?

My limited understanding is that the buffer would help into low impedance amps (reference to this has been made on this forum also when discussing partnering with SS amps).
I also understood (perhaps incorrectly) that balanced output does not provide any benefit into unbalanced input.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #11 on: September 24, 2021, 05:53:23 AM
The balanced outputs aren't particularly useful with the Kaiju, but they are not a substantial amount of work nor cost in the second upgrade.  The buffered output will more easily drive longer cables and will allow for more system flexibility if you wanted to add a powered subwoofer down the road, just as an example.   Some tube power amps with 12AX7 input stages also benefit from a stouter preamp output. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Chris H

Reply #12 on: September 24, 2021, 09:59:26 PM
Thanks Paul.
Went back and re-read the 'in-depth' plus other threads and the pieces dropped into place (my understanding).
Low impedance into high is good, buffering lowers the output impedance providing a more robust output, especially for low impedance loads. Yes?
I had seen reference to plate amps elsewhere and the penny dropped with your comment about sub-woofers - still learning.

This gives me enough to make my decision on buy now or wait.

Offline ScottAstroNut

Reply #13 on: October 10, 2021, 08:03:39 PM
I have a question regarding the upcoming second upgrade of adding shunt regulators, buffered outputs and a balanced output. Will this upgrade work independently of the first upgrade? Does the constant current source of the first upgrade need to be in place before adding the shunt regulators of the second? Thanks!

Scott Burgess

BeePre 2, Kaiju, Eros 2, Rega P6, Rega Apollo CD player, Bryston BDA-1 DAC, Bryston BDP-1 streamer, Jager speakers, Mainline for headphones.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #14 on: October 11, 2021, 04:51:42 AM
I would not install the second upgrade without the first.

Paul "PB" Birkeland