Painting parts

Knightstick · 1592

Offline Knightstick

on: September 21, 2021, 10:30:58 AM
Hello, I have  a quick question. Do I need to paint the underside of the transformer bell? Also I'm curious if I need to paint the metal of the output transformers? I am just planning to use a clear coat. Want to avoid the rust. Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 10:59:18 AM by Knightstick »

Adam

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 11:09:48 AM
The chokes are well dipped and I don't believe they will rust.  I have looked at the bottoms of steel transformer covers from the 90s with no rust on them.  I would definitely hit the power transformer stack with black lacquer.  Typically I will just run a loop of painters' tape around the terminals on the bottom so they don't get hit with paint. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Knightstick

Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 07:19:14 AM
Thanks Paul. Can I also paint the whole of the output transformers? Minus the terminals of course. I'm going with a different scheme now. Thanks in advance

Adam

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 08:35:32 AM
Sure, just wrap the terminals in a little painter's tape.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Knightstick

Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 07:00:16 AM
I'm really sorry to bother again but there's no black lacquer in my whole town. Would it be okay to hit those transformers with a different type of black? I have some hammered black on hand I'd like to use anyway. Just don't want to ruin the transformers. Thanks

Adam

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: September 24, 2021, 08:54:48 AM
Hammertone is fine. In fact it will hide surface imperfections far better than lacquer. It will also take some time to cure completely, so handle it carefully. Better yet let it cure for a week or two before installing.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Knightstick

Reply #6 on: September 24, 2021, 10:15:42 AM
Thanks doc, I'll go ahead and hit the whole transformers with the hammered black then.

Adam