Running the Crack without a volume control

CrackMeUp · 1888

Offline CrackMeUp

on: October 05, 2021, 07:37:25 AM
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on the Bottlehead forum. I love building things hifi related but so far have only made a DC blocker, modified a few things and made some leads, so the Crack will be my first full build. Before I take the plunge, however, I'd like to know whether it's okay to run the Crack wide open with no volume pot or stepped attenuator. The reason is that I already have a very good TVC in my system - the Music First Audio Baby Reference preamp. I'd like to control the headphone volume by adding another pair of RCA connectors and a switch to the TVC so I can switch the output between amps/speakers and the Crack/headphones. Would this setup work okay with the Crack? Although the Crack would have no volume control, the current from the selected source would still be attenuated by the TVC so the Crack wouldn't be run anywhere close to max, and no gain is added by the TVC.

Thank you!

Offline AB2KH

Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 10:17:24 AM
CrackMeUP,

What I would do.  I would build the amp as per the Bottlehead manual. Install it in your system with your desired volume control  (passive / Active) and just turn the crack vol control all the way up effectively removing it from the audio chain, that way if at some point you decide to use it with it's own dedicated source as a stand alone system you can do so.

Chris/AB2KH

Offline CrackMeUp

Reply #2 on: October 05, 2021, 10:41:55 AM
Thanks Chris. That's sound advice, of course, but I can't see me wanting to use it outside of my main system, so just wanted to know if it's okay to bypass the volume pot entirely. Any info on how to do that would also be useful if anyone knows what to do and/or has tried it.

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 10:53:37 AM
If you do not want the volume control I would solder a 100k ohm resistor from the grids of the 12au7 to ground so the 12au7 has a grid reference to ground even if you do not have any input connected. This will keep everything happy.

Lee R.

Offline AB2KH

Reply #4 on: October 05, 2021, 11:45:34 AM
I personally would loose sleep over the now hole in the chassis, but then that's just me,having worked in an industry which required your product to be visually perfect.

Chris/AB2KH

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: October 05, 2021, 02:48:32 PM
Just turn the pot up all the way.  The potential problems you could run into by trying to leave the pot on are going to be a significant bother compared to just building it stock.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline CrackMeUp

Reply #6 on: October 05, 2021, 09:50:38 PM
If you do not want the volume control I would solder a 100k ohm resistor from the grids of the 12au7 to ground so the 12au7 has a grid reference to ground even if you do not have any input connected. This will keep everything happy.

Thank you. My thinking was heading in this direction so it's good to hear someone else say it for confidence.

I personally would loose sleep over the now hole in the chassis, but then that's just me,having worked in an industry which required your product to be visually perfect.

Chris/AB2KH

I would leave the pot in place in case i did ever need to wire it in, just not connect it for now. That way the aesthetic would also be satisfied. :)

Just turn the pot up all the way.  The potential problems you could run into by trying to leave the pot on are going to be a significant bother compared to just building it stock.

Thanks Paul, but could you please expand on the 'potential problems' I could run into, and what you mean by 'trying to leave the pot on.' Isn't that the same as turning the pot all the way up (on/open) as you suggest?

Thanks for all your replies. I really appreciated it. The main thing driving me to want to do this is that I like to keep the signal path as clean and simple as possible. With my monoblock power amps, the signal just connects to the grid of the input tube and uses a grid leak/drain/ground resistor where a volume control might be. My power amps don't have volume control, so I was thinking the Crack could be run in the same way without issue. I'd just like to confirm that's the case before I dive in.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: October 06, 2021, 06:02:50 AM
A couple comments:

A) The volume control IS a 100K resistor, so merely connecting the grid to the top of the control instead of the wiper accomplishes the fixed gain without removing any parts, and with  minimal wiring changes.

B) If you do that, you are likely to discover that you have way too much gain in the system, i.e. a hair-trigger TVC and excesssive noise.

Paul Joppa

Offline CrackMeUp

Reply #8 on: October 06, 2021, 06:25:01 AM
Thanks Paul, so no other issues other than the potential for too much gain. I'll certainly build it standard to start with, but I just know that pot will bug me. My TVC has small steps for about half of the 32 positions on the volume dial, so it's a finer tuning for the lower levels. I guess it's down to suck it and see. Just one more question then... If I find it's okay with the Crack's volume at max, and I have good volume control with the TVC, I can just bypass it with 100k resistors to the input tube grids, and if it's too much, could I try higher value resistors to effectively reproduce running the crack at a lower volume? Thanks again.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: October 06, 2021, 06:43:56 AM
Thanks Paul, but could you please expand on the 'potential problems' I could run into, and what you mean by 'trying to leave the pot on.' Isn't that the same as turning the pot all the way up (on/open) as you suggest?

PJ brought up the gain issue, but the other issue is that the ground buss routes through the pair of ground lugs on the volume pot, and when you lose those it will make the Crack much harder to build and possibly less reliable.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline CrackMeUp

Reply #10 on: October 06, 2021, 07:23:01 AM
PJ brought up the gain issue, but the other issue is that the ground buss routes through the pair of ground lugs on the volume pot, and when you lose those it will make the Crack much harder to build and possibly less reliable.

Thanks Paul, so I'd just need to ensure I continue the ground wiring so ground still gets to where it's supposed to go, but without the using the pot lugs as a tags (or I guess I could still make use of them if I leave the pot in place without the signal wiring connected). I plan to build it per the manual first, so I'll be able to see where everything needs to be connected up with the pot gone, and that it all works ok. I think I'm getting there. So, I just the potential gain issue to worry about really by the sounds of it. Signal wires go to the respective input tube grids and a 100k resistor from the grids to ground bus. Then if gain too high, drop a quality resistor in the signal path emulating the pot resistance at whatever volume level works best. Does that sound right? Sorry for all the questions. About to buy one. Just want to make sure I can achieve what I'm after with it.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #11 on: October 06, 2021, 08:12:01 AM
The idea of moving the wires from the middle lugs of the pots to the outer lugs of the pots is a winner.  I would build it stock first, then do that if all is well.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline AB2KH

Reply #12 on: October 06, 2021, 08:55:30 AM
 There was a gentleman by the name of Rube Goldberg who was extremely adept at this very type of of problem solving, if he were still living I'm certain that he would have the ultimate solution to this.

Chris/AB2KH

Offline CrackMeUp

Reply #13 on: October 06, 2021, 10:43:40 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies and input. I've just ordered my first Bottlehead kit - the Crack 1.1 + Speedball. Can't wait to receive it. It's a Christmas present from my wife, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Santa will be able to deliver it in time. :)

Offline Deluk

Reply #14 on: October 08, 2021, 01:49:02 AM
I've always thought that the last few percent of an amplifiers gain wasn't the best place to be if it's in the sound chain. This is where distortion and extra noise hang out. If the crack is maxed out on the pot I'd think that it would also be in this less than best part of the sound. Comments?