Rivets?

Clover · 2716

Offline Clover

on: October 12, 2021, 09:17:12 AM
I am about to start my first build (SEX) and was considering using rivets in place of screws to attach some of the items.  I would still use screws to hold down the bell housing where I know it needs to be tight, but any other locations that using a rivet would be a bad idea?  I just like how they look and it is strictly for aesthetics.  I have not really seen others doing it so maybe it is just a bad idea.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 09:45:47 AM
Rivets in vintage tube gear were a popular cost cutting measure, but if you ever find yourself needing to replace whatever they are holding down, you'll have huge regrets.  I have also worked on vintage riveted amps where the rivets were slightly loose and causing lots of problems, and the only way to get things working again was to drill them out and replace them with screws.

In the SEX amp specifically, we provide hardware to insulate certain terminals, and that won't be compatible with rivets either. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 09:51:53 AM
Yup, I'm with PB. The fundamental issue is that they tend to loosen with time. That could be disastrous, particularly at a ground connection.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Clover

Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 10:02:00 AM
Good to know, thanks guys.  I will stick to the fasteners provided then.