Jäger and Schiit Aegir Class A monobocks, 80W

jonathan.lesser · 3376

Offline jonathan.lesser

on: October 27, 2021, 05:38:34 PM
Hello everyone. So far my only completed kit is my Mainline 1.1 HP amp which I just love. For my next project I was considering the Jager speakers but wondering how it would sound with solid state Schiit Aegir 80 Watt (total) class A mono blocks instead of your tube offerings (at least for now).  Appreciate the input.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 05:40:44 PM by jonathan.lesser »

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 07:10:33 PM
As far as I know, nobody has yet reported any careful listening comparisons - so the best I can do is to identify the technical effects. The main technical difference will be the damping, especially the effect on bass tuning.

The Jäger was designed and voiced for SETs with no feedback, which have a modest damping factor of about 3. The Aegir damping factor is specified as ">100" which is typical of high-feedback solid-state designs, so it will probably sound a little different. It's not a lot, maybe a one or two dB increase around the 3kHz crossover and similar disruptions in the deep bass.

You can correct this by using a resistor in series with the speaker - I'd recommend around 2.7 ohms, though experimenting with different values would be a good idea. This won't make it sound like an SET, but it will correct the tuning.

(If you play it loud, that resistor can get hot, so it should be a wirewound power resistor, conservatively  rated for the same power as the amp.)

Paul Joppa

Offline jonathan.lesser

Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 03:36:51 AM
Thank you Paul for your very thoughtful reply. Still thinking about it and appreciate your time!