three watt tube amp to Headphone adapter

coca · 2556

Offline coca

on: December 19, 2010, 01:07:07 PM
Has the Bottlehead corp. ever offered a kit or schematic for a headphone adapter that will plug into a three watt amplifier's speaker terminals? I have a three watt tube amp, a set of Sennheiser 150 ohm HD 545 headphones, and I would like to drive them with that amp. I have purchased the S.EX. amp kit some time a go, but would like to use it with another aplication.
I would think that this adapter would require just some resistors and the necessary connectors.

Bernie.

Offline JC

Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 01:20:44 PM
Radio Shack used to sell such a thing, but I very much doubt they still do.

I expect you could rig something very similar to the SEX amp arrangement.  You will basically need a stereo headphone jack (TRS), 120 Ohm resistors to put in series with the T and R connections, and whatever makes sense in terms of leads to hook up to your amp.  A little box to put the jack and resistors into would be good, of course.  Radio Shack's used to come in a little metal cylinder with about 6" of speaker wire coming out the end to connect to the left and right outputs of the amp.  Any little project box big enough to hold the jack and resistors would do, I imagine.

Jim C.