Upgrades

Knightstick · 1260

Offline Knightstick

on: November 12, 2021, 10:31:36 AM
Hello, I have my stereomour 2 completed and it sounds amazing but would like to upgrade in a month or so. My questions are. What are the best of the three as far as increases in sound quality for the $$$? Also in which order should they be installed? Thanks much!

Adam

Online Thermioniclife

Reply #1 on: November 12, 2021, 10:53:38 AM
I have a SM2 and I purchased it with the shunt regulator kit. The amp sounds great. the DC filament  supply will not enhance the sound but if you have very sensitive speakers it will reduce hum on silent passages. My speakers are 95 db and the amp is quiet enough without that upgrade. As far as the stepped attenuator, I require a balance control because or my listening room. If you do not need a balance control, go for it. My .02c

Lee R.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: November 12, 2021, 11:05:41 AM
Unless your speakers are very sensitive, hum is not a problem and there's no need for the DC filament supply.

I think the shunt-regulated driver mod is a more audible improvement.

The stepped attenuator does make an improvement in the sonics. Note that it eliminates the balance control, but maintains more consistent balance as a function of gain setting, so kind of a mixed bag there.

My two cents; not everybody hears the same things in the same way, YMMV, etc.

Paul Joppa

Online Thermioniclife

Reply #3 on: November 12, 2021, 11:26:11 AM
PJ it appears that we said the same thing in different ways, just like people hear things differently.

Lee R.

Offline Knightstick

Reply #4 on: November 12, 2021, 11:51:03 AM
Thanks guys. Ithink I'll go with the DC filament, as I hear a bit of hum in the amp (my speakers are 98 db). I want the the shunt too. Which of the two should be installed first?

Adam

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: November 12, 2021, 06:52:00 PM
I would put the DC filament kit in first, as it's way simpler and a good warmup for the more complicated SR upgrade.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man