Thinking about buying the Eros 2 kit. Worthy upgrade?

kill_surf_city · 1260

Offline kill_surf_city

on: November 20, 2021, 09:56:22 AM
I've been running a Jolida JD9 MKII for nearly a decade and was looking into a phono pre that's actually a full tube amplifier. The JD9 is a hybrid. Would the Eros 2 be an upgrade over the JD9? Also can it handle LOMC? I have a Dynavector XX2 LOMC and I wanna get everything I can out of it. If the Eros 2 isn't a worthy upgrade have you guys got any ideas on some phono preamps that would be?

Thanks!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: November 20, 2021, 10:55:57 AM
While we can't speak a whole lot to the performance of the Jolida, I do see six opamps in there, so I would wonder what contribution the tubes are making.

The Eros will work with a LOMC, but you'll want to get some appropriate step-up transformers.  We have included mounting holes in the chassis for 3/8" bushing mount step-up transformers (Sowter and Electra-Print tend to use this package), but holes could also be added for mounting Jensen or Cinemag step-ups that use the two sheet metal screws.

The Dynavector SUP-200 would be another option, but the price is somewhat unreasonable.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline kill_surf_city

Reply #2 on: November 20, 2021, 11:21:32 AM
While we can't speak a whole lot to the performance of the Jolida, I do see six opamps in there, so I would wonder what contribution the tubes are making.

The Eros will work with a LOMC, but you'll want to get some appropriate step-up transformers.  We have included mounting holes in the chassis for 3/8" bushing mount step-up transformers (Sowter and Electra-Print tend to use this package), but holes could also be added for mounting Jensen or Cinemag step-ups that use the two sheet metal screws.

The Dynavector SUP-200 would be another option, but the price is somewhat unreasonable.

I believe I’ve read that only thing the tubes do on the Jolida is provide some extra gain at the tube stage at the end of the signal chain. Don’t get me wrong, it still sounds great but I’ve never heard a pure tube preamp and I loved building my crack kit.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: November 20, 2021, 11:26:42 AM
It is rather difficult to build an all tube LOMC phono preamp that doesn't use step-up transformers.  We were sort of able to do it, but determined that it would have necessitated about eight 6C45P tubes per channel as a booster amp between the LOMC cartridge and a standard MM phono preamp.  Certainly using a couple of low noise opamps gets the job done and avoids the noise problems without sticking a $200+ pair of transformers into the bill of materials.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Larpy

Reply #4 on: November 20, 2021, 12:49:38 PM
I've been running a Jolida JD9 MKII for nearly a decade and was looking into a phono pre that's actually a full tube amplifier. The JD9 is a hybrid. Would the Eros 2 be an upgrade over the JD9? Also can it handle LOMC? I have a Dynavector XX2 LOMC and I wanna get everything I can out of it. If the Eros 2 isn't a worthy upgrade have you guys got any ideas on some phono preamps that would be?

Thanks!

That's the cartridge I'm using with my Eros 2.  I added a pair of Sowter transformers to the Eros and I'm delighted with the results.  There's a 6 month wait for the Sowters, but I think it's worth it.  Even without transformers, the Dyna makes music through the Eros.  You have to turn your preamp almost all the way up (as loud as you can go without tube rush getting in the way), but it will work until the Sowters arrive.

My previous phono pre was a Sutherland Ph.D.  The Eros sounds better.

Larry

Offline debk

Reply #5 on: November 20, 2021, 03:42:00 PM
I too have the Eros 2 and Sowter SUTs.  It is a real nice combination and I think it sounds great.  I was using a Pearl 2 before this and also have the  original Eros with Cinemag SUTs.  I like the Eros 2- Sowter combination better

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline kill_surf_city

Reply #6 on: November 20, 2021, 04:18:50 PM
That's the cartridge I'm using with my Eros 2.  I added a pair of Sowter transformers to the Eros and I'm delighted with the results.  There's a 6 month wait for the Sowters, but I think it's worth it.  Even without transformers, the Dyna makes music through the Eros.  You have to turn your preamp almost all the way up (as loud as you can go without tube rush getting in the way), but it will work until the Sowters arrive.

My previous phono pre was a Sutherland Ph.D.  The Eros sounds better.

Awesome! I think I’ll go for it then.