Transformer wiring question?

Mucker · 684

Offline Mucker

on: December 11, 2021, 04:15:16 PM
I received my kit last week and started my build a few days ago. Pretty straightforward stuff and going really well. The manual is written exceptionally well.

I did have a slight issue with one of the terminal strips and the plastic acorn nut and washer. Although it appeared the mounting was correct, the terminal was showing continuity to the chassis plate. After a few adjustments, had the same result. I finally got it insulated from the plate but it didn't look any different than the first time I mounted it. If I was a beginner, and didn't know better to use a meter, this could be easily overlooked since there is no mention to check for continuity in the manual. Would it be a good thing to add the continuity check to the manual when the mounting step for these plastic insulators occurs? This could prevent some unneeded troubleshooting after everything is built. Obviously it's impossible to visually see if there is a problem.

Anyway, I am ready to wire the transformers and would like to ask if it would be better to wire the transformers for 4, 8, or 16 using the following headphones:

HiFiman HE6se
Beyerdynamic DT-1990 Pro
Grado RS2e
Denon AH-D5000.

I know the Denon and Grado's are easily driven and 4 would be fine, but would going to 8 be good enough for the 1990 and HE6se or would 4 work too? I don't listen loud but want to make sure the phones are working optimally. I wouldn't mind using the amp solely with the HE6se since I have a Crack/SB for the 1990's.

I guess I am looking for a wiring that will give me the most versatility with the above phones and if it can't be done then wire it leaning toward HE6se. Thank you!

Greg

P.S. Overall I am very happy with this kit and can't wait to get it cranking. Thanks to all the Bottlehead crew for providing such a fun experience!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: December 11, 2021, 04:27:37 PM
Wire it for 4 ohms. That will give you the most black background and will work well with all the cans you mention.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Mucker

Reply #2 on: December 11, 2021, 04:31:53 PM
OK Doc, will do. Many thanks! The S3X kit is really awesome, very much worth the wait. Will definitely be back for more .......
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 04:33:28 PM by Mucker »