Cables?

Clover · 1604

Offline Clover

on: December 17, 2021, 01:00:44 PM
So I built my S.E.X 3.0 amp and just connected everything with some random connections I had.  Sounds great actually but I have some cheapo 3.5 mm to RCA running into the SEX.  My thinking was that maybe a nicer set of cables could be decent gift ideas for the holidays.  What would people recommend? 

I really don't understand what makes one cable nicer other then better materials would likely lead to better results  I also need a set to go from my pre outs on my AV receiver to the set to try them out with my Zu speakers.  I would also love a longer cable (12-15ft.) for my headphones with 3.5 mm  inputs so I can move around my room but I have been tossing the idea of investing in a set that you can attach different connectors to for different headphones.  The stuff I seem to come across is all shorter then that for headphones so maybe I am the only one that sits far away from my amp. 

Anyways, any recommendations or am I just looking for stuff to buy that I don't need?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: December 17, 2021, 01:35:05 PM
What does the 3.5mm cable plug into?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Mucker

Reply #2 on: December 17, 2021, 06:24:17 PM
I have been making my own RCA interconnect cables for the past few years.

I like these Carter connectors, very easy to work with and excellent strain relief design.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313207179984?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Mogami 2534 wire fits these connectors beautifully ..

https://www.performanceaudio.com/mogami-w2534-black-neglex-quad-microphone-cable-by-the-foot.html

I am a big fan of Mogami wire for all kinds of interconnects, but you have to look at the specs closely to make sure are are getting what you want. It's really affordable compared to many competitors.

Performance Audi is a great site. They can build you a cable or have everything you need to build them yourself. Excellent quality that doesn't break the bank.

https://www.performanceaudio.com/custom-cables-insert-cable-made-from-mogami-w2534-neutrik-connectors.html
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 06:30:46 PM by Mucker »

Offline Clover

Reply #3 on: December 17, 2021, 07:47:48 PM
Thanks, lots of good stuff for me to look into.  I'm totally game for making my own cables so thanks for the info on good places to at least start. 

Right now the 3.5mm is just plugged into a Microsoft Surface Book Laptop or my gaming computer.  I'm hoping to get a DAC for Christmas to go between the computer and the SEX.  A Moreplay or BeePre could be in the future cards as well, but I do stream most of my music.     

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: December 18, 2021, 05:55:27 AM
The DAC will very likely make a much bigger difference than the cable would!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Tubegopher

• Don Palmer
Reply #5 on: December 18, 2021, 06:37:49 AM
I agree with Paul, I am using a Dragonfly DAC when I stream from my phone to my preamp and amp. It  makes a significant difference. Cost was about $100 a couple of years ago.

300B amps with 6SJ7 in Triode mode, dc fil. volt. for 300Bs. BeePre with Bill Milosz built Eros Phono. Teres Turntable, Pete Riggle "12 inch Woody Tonearm" Grace F9  with Soundsmith ruby cantilever stylus.Cambridge Audio CD with MHDT Labs Orchid DAC Rega NAOS Spkrs, Atelier Rullit super tweeters

Offline Clover

Reply #6 on: December 20, 2021, 07:30:34 PM
I do have two different DACs on my list.  Tried to give the wife different price options, so one was a Dragonfly Red and the other the Danafrips entry R2R DAC the Ares II.  Figured cables would be another good cheap option, I was not looking for expensive cables to put on my relatively modest setup, just something nicer then the ones I managed to dig out of a bin of cables I have that were included with one thing or another that I acquired over the years.  My current setup makes some noise when I move the cables around and I think the just may pick up noise/static somewhat easily.  They are kind of janky and plastic too and something nicer looking plugged into my SEX that sits out pretty and proud in my loft would be nice.

Offline Karl5150

Reply #7 on: December 21, 2021, 02:35:12 AM
Blue Jean makes reasonably priced (I understand that is an inherently subjective statement) cables that are low-capacitance, good for the longer runs.
Karl

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline Clover

Reply #8 on: December 25, 2021, 08:32:57 PM
For those of you who were on the edge of their seat waiting, I did get a Dragonfly DAC for Christmas from the wife.  The red to be more specific.  I think I am going to order the 3.5mm Y to RCA from Performance Audio.  Not sure why my cheapy is causing noise, but it does when moved.  Plus it will look nicer and is only about $25.  I think I may make myself a set of headphone cables.  I just don't see much as far as options for longer headphone cables that end in 3.5mm so why not make my own.  I don't seem to be able to do a custom headphone cable from Performance Audio unless I am missing something.  Under their custom headphone cable section, everything is just an extension, nothing that ends in two 3.5mm jacks.  Any place someone would recommend for making your own headphone cables?

Offline Mucker

Reply #9 on: December 26, 2021, 09:21:27 AM
Congrats on your new DAC.

As fa as a headphone cable, Mogami W2697 from Performance Audio is a good choice @ 31 cents per foot. It has 3 conductors, a twisted pair wrapped with a shield but is very small diameter. I just made a cable for my DT-1990 Pro and it is excellent! (see photo) Really low capacitance. Completely busts the myth of needing thick wires for superior performance.

https://www.performanceaudio.com/mogami-w2697-miniature-balanced-mic-cable-by-the-foot.html

You could get 30 feet of W2697 for $9, and cut it in half for your 15 foot requirement.

Get a TRS plug for the source and two TS plugs (or other 2 conductor plug) for your headphones. HiFiman is like this:

https://www.performanceaudio.com/amphenol-km2pb-au-3-5mm-ts-mono-mini-plug-cable-connector-black-gold.html

I didn't see you mention what headphones you are using.

Strip the source end of both cables and tie the all white wires and shields together and solder it to the sleeve on the TRS plug.

Solder one red wire to the ring of the TRS and the other red wire to the tip. Put a mesh jacket (have to figure out jacket size) around both cables up to the point where they split to the drivers and then heat shrink at the split point.

This 1/4 inch Techflex works great, fits 2 cables of W2697 nicely: https://www.performanceaudio.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Techflex+Flexo+PET+Expandable+Braided+Sleeving+%281%2F4%22+Black%2C+By+the+Foot%29

Strip the ends of the of the other 2 cables and cut the shields away as they will not be attached.  Solder the red wires to the tips and the white wires to the sleeves of the TS plugs. Use red or black heat shrink at the TS plug on each cable to distinguish right from left. Check with meter unless you know which side is which.

What's left is a 15 foot premium cable with good shielding for less than 20 bucks. IMO, the DIY route is a great way to go for cables if you have the time to do it.

The DT-1990 Pro required only a single cable of W2697 because the connector at the left driver is only 3 pin. The 3 conductor wire is perfect for this. I have a plan to change that connector to a 4 pin XLR and wire it correctly for balanced operation.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 07:10:03 AM by Mucker »

Offline jstrano

Reply #10 on: March 09, 2022, 01:50:07 AM
Mucker, do you take all (4) of the mic wires and put them together and used the shield as your ground?  I like the idea, but was a little thrown by using 4 wire mic wire.  Just curious as I'm new to this as well. 
-Jay

Offline Mucker

Reply #11 on: March 09, 2022, 04:11:38 PM
Hi Jay. What kind of cable are you trying to make? From a TRS plug or 4 pin balanced plug (or TRRS)? And routed to one or two headphone cups?

Offline jstrano

Reply #12 on: March 10, 2022, 03:16:25 AM
For the time being I'll be making up some RCA cords for input/output for components. 
I am building a SEX kit right now and will be running that into Klipsch 600M speakers. 
I'll be using mostly a DAC into it as well as phono.
Thanks in advance. 
-Jay

Offline Mucker

Reply #13 on: March 10, 2022, 06:42:11 AM
Nice setup! I have the 600's and an S3X too. The amp is flat out awesome.

For RCA interconnects I really like Mogami 2534 (4 conductor + shield) and those Carter RCA plugs I linked above. The cable diameter fits the connector perfectly and the thing I like about the Carter connectors is the outstanding strain relief. Because of the 3 piece design, when you tighten it down, the cable is gripped and compressed by the middle section. It doesn't rely on just the wire ground clamp. You could literally have a tug of war with these cables pulling on the RCA ends when completed.

I usually twist the blue wires and shield together on one end and solder to ground. Then twist the clear wires together and solder to signal. On the other end I cut off the excess shield and twist the blue wires together and solder to ground, then twist the clear wires together and solder to signal. Then mark the cable (somehow, heat shrink, paint dot, etc..) to identify the end with lifted (floating) ground. I then attach the RCA plugs with the grounded ends to the source. If you dig around on the web there is information why it's done this way from World's Best Cables. I haven't had a single issue constructing cables this way. I've used RCA cables of all types with or without floating grounds and they generally just work fine. I am just in the habit now of building them floated.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 12:20:59 PM by Mucker »

Offline jstrano

Reply #14 on: March 14, 2022, 08:30:53 AM
Thank you so much for the info! Great photos and I love hearing about the floating ground. 
I'm going to look into that a little more. 
Almost done with my amp and can't wait to try it out.
-Jay