female RCA

CaptainFantastic · 1180

Offline CaptainFantastic

on: February 07, 2022, 10:27:30 AM
Hi guys, I have a quick question for an upcoming C2A build (ordered, not yet shipped). Would the Cardas GRFA Short Female RCAs fit the C2A? It says that it requires a 7/16" (.440") chassis hole if used with supplied isolation washers, or a 3/8" hole w/o washers. I intend to use it with the supplied washers. So would that fir the C2A plate?

Thanks!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: February 07, 2022, 10:49:36 AM
The C2A input jack holes are 10mm, which is too small.  You could drill them out if you wanted to use the Cardas jacks.  In my opinion, the Cardas jacks are substantially more difficult to solder (the shell, not the center pin), and doing six of them would not make me excited.  You'll also need a lot more of the dark wires stripped to really work well with those jacks, so optimally all of the CAT5 lengths would need to be adjusted as well.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline CaptainFantastic

Reply #2 on: February 07, 2022, 11:04:35 AM
Thank you for the quick and informative reply. It sounds like it's not worth the significant additional effort (and room for error).

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: February 07, 2022, 11:39:14 AM
You could buy one and try soldering to it just to see.  If you have to have these, leave them loose while you're soldering the wires to them so the mounting washers don't melt, then after they cool you can tighten them down.

If you are extremely determined and patient (which I am not!), you could take a piece of wood and make a little jig to hold them with the receiving end facing down, then drill a tiny hole in the outer flange that you can slip a wire through to make things a lot easier.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #4 on: February 07, 2022, 12:26:49 PM
I've done that in the past but now I just scrape the plating off by the slot on the the body and make a hook.

Lee R.