Power Transformer Layer Cracking? [resolved]

ArtnShit · 769

Offline ArtnShit

on: January 18, 2022, 05:42:56 AM
Hi All,

Building my first kit! BeePree2. Having a lot of fun so far and almost finished building up the mounting hardware.

After finishing mounting the power transformer, I noticed that a corner right next to one of the screws had a "bubble" in the metal. It looks like it probably happened in the manufacturing process, cuz I am not sure how a ding could have been made it without it being connected to an edge. Anyway, it makes it so the bell top does not sit flush. I do not mind it so much aesthetically, very minor looking, but while I was tightening down the screen, it made a crackling noise. I looked closely and noticed this cracked some sort of first layer of something on the surface of the transformer. I am attaching a picture.

Is this something that I should be concerned about either in regards to performance or safety? I feel like it's probably fine, but I am very new to this hobby.

Thanks in advance!
a&s
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 07:00:33 AM by Paul Birkeland »

a&s

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 06:10:34 AM
When EI transformers like these are made, they are dipped in varnish and spend some time in a vacuum chamber so the varnish can get into all the nooks and crannies and keep things still.  What you're seeing there is just varnish, so you could grab some at the hardware store and an acid brush and just brush over where any of the varnish has cracked if you like.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline ArtnShit

Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 06:36:13 AM
Hi Paul!

Thanks for your quick response. Two questions: 1: Do I need to put more varnish on, or is it ok to leave it as is? 2: Is the bump worrisome at all, or something that can be ignored?

Thanks!
a&s

a&s

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 06:39:25 AM
I think you could leave it alone.  The bump is just a drip of varnish and can be left alone.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline ArtnShit

Reply #4 on: January 18, 2022, 06:57:52 AM
Thanks Paul! I am sure I will be posting again once I start more electrical!  :o

Best
a&s

a&s