Where can I get tube testing done at?

currly30 · 437

Offline currly30

on: January 20, 2022, 11:06:12 PM
I have some older tubes I would like to get tested to see how much life is left in them and if they are a matched pair. So far I have had no luck in finding a location near me that offers the service. As far as online goes. They seem to want to charge $15-$25 per tube you get tested. Which is too rich for my blood. I live on the West side of North Dakota near Fargo. If anyone knows of a place that does test near there or a fairly priced online checker. I would greatly appreciate your input.

Thanks,
currly30

Offline johnsonad

Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 01:33:02 AM
Find a group of local HAM radio operators, they will be happy to help and most likely interested in your project.

If you have an amp that can use the tube (and you have a good idea that the tube is good), you can always just use the amp to test them. Put them in and if and if they work, that's test one. Then using your phone or a different source as a signal generator, put a 1k sine wave through the amp and use a multi-meter to measure your output. Measuring a tube in a circuit is more accurate for matching vs. a tube tester (depending on where the tube is in the circuit, e.g. power tube).  Remember that the balance control is your friend for matching output voltages. Just my 2 cents....

Aaron Johnson

Offline currly30

Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 11:51:32 PM
Oh, that is good idea. All the tubes work and produce sound. I will have to try measuring them in a circuit to see if I have a matching pair.  Thanks for the info.

Offline Deluk

Reply #3 on: January 22, 2022, 02:12:29 AM
If you have a guitar shop that services valve amps locally, they can probably help you out.