question about phono input cables

lesouthern · 1739

Offline lesouthern

on: January 25, 2022, 12:26:20 PM
Hi- I have a Reduction phono amp, paired with a Rega Planar 2.

Recently have been getting a violent loud humming sound, that only dissipates when I fiddle and bend the positive RCA cabling coming from the Rega. Note the grounding of Regas are in their RCA connection.

The photograph shows my potential resolution to the issue, by using some higher quality cable with the Reduction. Would like some feedback as to whether my logic of this fix makes sense, and to help anyone that hits this issue in the future.

Originally the RCA from the Rega was connected directly into the Reduction. Note the RCA cable is pretty thin, not so great, coming from the Rega.

Is it possible that the heat from the Reduction is messing with the Rega RCA cable? And/or the position of the phono RCA cable to connect to the Reduction? Do you guys see a problem with cheaper cables connected to the Reduction?

The setup in my photo seems to resolve the issue, but don't know if this is coincidence.

Otherwise the system is working flawlessly and sounding great. Very much enjoying it.

thank you!

-Larry

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: January 25, 2022, 12:53:30 PM
I would try loosening one of the three tonearm mounting screws that go into the metal, wrap a wire around it, then retighten it.  Connect the other end of that wire to the earth post on the Reduction.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline lesouthern

Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 06:21:31 AM
Great thanks so much Paul!