Lii F-15 open baffle

rockdoc · 3658

Offline rockdoc

on: November 08, 2022, 09:25:36 AM
I just ordered a pair of these Lii Audio F-15 full range drivers, at 399. the pair, plus 65 to ship. Have read nothing but glowing reviews on the decware website, and glowinthedarkaudio. Very efficient; like 99 or 100db. Simple, cheap, and apparently great, and good to go with my next amp build, likely the Stereomour II with 45 tubes...... Anyone here built these , or any of the other Lii audio drivers up?

Steve T

Offline Larpy

Reply #1 on: November 08, 2022, 10:29:12 AM
The Lii F-15s are the speakers I've been using for about three years now.  I use them in open baffle configuration.  They sound excellent to me, though they don't do deep bass and the top peters out above 10K (but so do my ears).  Frequency response is nowhere near flat but I find them extremely musical.

With a big baffle, they sound just fine, but I ended up using them in a small baffle as part of a three-way system: 

My Kaiju has more than enough power (subs have their own amps).  I doubt the F-15 is a true 99 dB speaker, but they are efficient. 

A friend has a second pair I bought on long-term loan and he listens to them (in bigger baffles I fashioned after Caintuck Audio's Betsy baffles) with both a 2A3 and 45 amps.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 10:35:35 AM by Larpy »

Larry

Offline rockdoc

Reply #2 on: November 08, 2022, 01:18:59 PM
Thanks Larry, those look great . What are you doing for the tweeter, and for a crossover?

Steve T

Offline Larpy

Reply #3 on: November 08, 2022, 04:42:59 PM
The point of the tweeter is to help out both the F-15s' and my ears' falling treble; anyone with good hearing might well run shrieking from the room.  It's a B&C DE35, used as a kind of "super tweeter" designed to augment the frequencies where my ears and the F-15s get a little shy:  8000 Hz and above.

The crossover is a 1uF capacitor.  Those with better hearing would no doubt use a smaller value and perhaps a resistor to knock it down a dB or two.  But it works well for me.

Larry

Offline rockdoc

Reply #4 on: November 08, 2022, 04:46:55 PM
good to know; thanks. Yeah my hearing's not gettin any better these days either......

Steve T

Offline rockdoc

Reply #5 on: December 24, 2022, 06:01:02 AM
wow- did the "Bucket Sub" and I have one up and running on the speaker (high level) outputs/inputs on the 300 watt class D plate amp, and man this works with the F-15s. Second bucket sub coming soon....   

Steve T
« Last Edit: December 24, 2022, 06:04:42 AM by rockdoc »