Perhaps a dumb question

drp548 · 1434

Offline drp548

on: February 03, 2022, 11:56:23 AM
Hello folks -
I am completely new to DIY tube amps. I would like to attempt to build the Mainline headphone amp.

Should I purchase the TwoQuiet Stepped Attenuator upgrade? It is listed as a related item on the Mainline product page

Dean R. Peterman
[email protected]

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #1 on: February 03, 2022, 12:11:36 PM
The Mainline comes with the stepped attenuator as standard equipment.

Lee R.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 01:20:27 PM

I am completely new to DIY tube amps.
I would recommend building a Crack first, just as a good kit to practice on before going to the Mainline.  If you have no soldering and assembly experience, the Mainline will be moderately difficult to assemble.  Even just building the Crack and getting it running, then moving onto the Mainline the next day would give you a substantial boost in experience to roll into the Mainline build.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline ipetruk

• Igor Petruk
Reply #3 on: February 10, 2022, 12:25:44 AM
I am completely new to DIY tube amps

Are you new to tube amps, or to soldering and DIY in general? Building Mainline is a very long process, but it is not difficult if you know how to cut wires and solder. You will have to solder wires and some electronic components on the PCB board. It does not require any knowlesge in electronics. Instructions are very clear. They are not like "connect the cathode to this", instead they are like "plug a longer leg so it faces the edge of the board".

Roon -> Raspberry 4 -> Khadas Tone in Bottlehead Crack+Speedball -> detachable cable modded DT880