Quickie Half Problem

SilverS · 3077

Offline SilverS

on: December 26, 2010, 01:54:15 PM
Hello Bottlehead Forums,

This being my first post I'd like to say thank you to everyone here for persuading me to go with Bottlehead (and thank you Doc). I'm glad to be a part of this community and I'm looking forward to helping others once I get a better understanding of all this. But for right now I'm having a problem, a half problem to be exact, my Quickie is only playing though the right channel! As such I'm rather disappointed in myself for not being able to find the issue after having looked over the solder joints several times. I thought I'd come here to see if this is an issue I can get some help resolving. I'd also like to mention it isn't the tubes themselves, I swapped them and the sound still only comes from the right channel.

Also, at the bottom of the Quickie manual, one of the last instructions is to run a voltage check on Terminal 23. This instruction is confusing me because a Terminal 23 isn't mentioned at all before that point, I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Thank you

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 03:15:56 PM
First, good try with swapping tubes.  That often finds the problem right off the bat.

Now, terminal 23 poses a problem.  I see no terminal 23 on the Quickie, only 1-10.  Since the instruction is trying to get you to connect to a ground buss then connect the negative meter lead to the wire running between some of the RCA jacks or to the right, 5:00, lug of the volume pot.  All those are circuit common.

Offline SilverS

Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 05:21:03 AM
Thank you very much for the reply! To be honest I'm a complete novice when it comes to circuit jargon. If its not to much to ask, a picture would be the most helpful thing in the world right now.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 05:58:52 AM
I don't have a Quickie.  The inputs and outputs are the gold things mounted to the top plate that carry the signal into and out of the preamp.

Look on page 12 of the manual.  The bottom right picture shows the installed input and output RCA jacks.  There is an inner conductor, right in the middle and an outer conductor that you tie together on page 22.  The whole page, except the last step, is about running the ground buss from the inputs, outputs and to the volume pot.

This bare copper wire is what you want to clip the meter lead to.

BTW, on page 23 the right channel ground buss is finally tied to the others in the last step on the page.  Without this step you would get nothing from the right channel.  But you have the right not the left.  So it is some other problem.

Offline SilverS

Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 08:15:57 AM
All of the voltage readings came out on scale. Could it just be a bad switch or the potentiometer?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 08:46:49 AM
If the voltages are OK it is most likely that there is a problem in the signal path. Check your input and out RCA jacks on the bad side to see if some solder is shorting the center pin to the outer shell.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline SilverS

Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 10:05:15 AM
That was it! The black output jack had some solder dripping down the center post. Much thanks Grainger and Doc.