Success! Left-Handed Eros 2 Phono Stage

jminassi · 972

Offline jminassi

on: March 15, 2022, 01:23:14 PM
Hello Fellow Bottleheads:

I finished up the Eros 2 Phono Stage last week, and I have been playing records by pairing it with my VPI Classic I with a Sumiko Blackbird High Output MC Cartridge.  I'd like to thank Doc, PB and PJ for designing and making this kit available.  I loved building it, and it sounds wonderful.

Now, just a word of warning to anyone about to understake the build:  I inadvertently had the wrong side of the chassis plate powder coated.  Compare the plate to the photograph and make sure the openings in the plate for the power switch and IEC inlet are on the correct side.  I have proved that you can successfully build a left-handed version, but as PB points out this is probably the only Bottlehead kit that you can get away with doing this.  Also, there are two 10,000uF 6.3V electrolytic capacitors that hang off terminal strips detailed on page 59 of the instructions.  The ones I got supplied with the kit are apparently quite a bit longer than those shown in the instruction manual.  This necessitated bending the caps down instead of a right angles to the terminal strips.
Otherwise they would hit the enclosure when you mount the chassis on the wooden box.

The only thing I have left to do is sand, stain and lacquer the wooden enclosure.  Pictures below.

Thanks,

John

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: March 15, 2022, 01:31:08 PM
I'm glad everything ended up working out properly.

The normal 10,000uF caps we would provide for that position are out of stock until the fall I believe, hence the substitutes that function but are a bit of a tight fit.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline jminassi

Reply #2 on: March 15, 2022, 04:15:09 PM
Thanks PB!

Just to let you know I am building a step-up transformer from a kit supplied by K&K Audio (Kevin Carter)  So this is an outboard unit in an aluminum case with Lundahl LL9926 transformers.  I can set it up for 14, 20 or 26dB of gain.  I'm trying to find an 8 position pin header or socket and different position shunts that would allow me to change the gain without de-soldering connections.

I have two other turntables with low output moving coil cartridges that I could use this with.

Best,

John

Offline 4krowme

Reply #3 on: March 15, 2022, 04:56:06 PM
  I just saw this post, and it made me feel better. Nothing in particular, yet when I build a cabinet in my shop from scratch, something like this is bound to happen! You work around it and end up having at least a unique product. I can't always say better, but in your case no harm done. Just a mind twist sometimes if right is left.

Offline jminassi

Reply #4 on: March 15, 2022, 06:30:05 PM
Yep, I did have to concentratre a little on the wiring of the switch and the IEC inlet.

Thanks.

John