Replacing a S.E.X 2.1 component

quy lam nguyen · 905

Offline quy lam nguyen

on: April 10, 2022, 11:48:42 PM
Recently one of the resistors in my SEX 2.1 amp has exploded.
I'm inexperienced in electornics, so I tried to find exactly the specs of the broken component in the manual. What I found (and am not sure about) is that the resistor is 220ohm (?)
However, I did some research and learn that 220ohm resistors usually have Brown or Black stripes, which isn't the case for my broken resistor. That's why I would like to confirm my findings so that no mistakes will happen.
After that I will buy them from my local electronics store, with the exact specs of the resistor. I want the resistor to be identical to the original component.
Please help me in finding the exact specs of this resistor (SEX amp 2.1 - the component connecting the tube socket and the brown plastic piece), so that I can get the component closest to the original version as possible.
Best regards.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: April 11, 2022, 01:14:21 AM
That is a 220 ohm carbon composition resistor rated for 1/4W.  The brown stripe looks a little taupe, but that is brown.  You also have three unblown resistors that are the same still soldered in there that you could measure with a meter.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline IndyNate

Reply #2 on: May 02, 2022, 05:48:50 AM
If a grid stopper resistor blew, that seems extremely unseating as there should be 0 DC current thru it (well nearly 0) and only tiny amounts of AC current. Am I confused?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 05:51:49 AM by IndyNate »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: May 02, 2022, 05:50:44 AM
That is correct, but at the same time these carbon composition resistors are pretty delicate and can fall apart on their own over time from mechanical stress.  For this reason we no longer use them.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline IndyNate

Reply #4 on: May 02, 2022, 05:52:28 AM
Ha. Truth. I have coughed in their general direction and watched them crack/split ;D

Offline Deluk

Reply #5 on: May 03, 2022, 01:44:04 AM
Would it be a good idea for the OP to replace all 4 with something more durable? What would you recommend?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: May 03, 2022, 04:42:03 AM
Any old 200-1000 ohm carbon film resistor would be OK.

Paul "PB" Birkeland