What method do you use for music streaming?

Tubegopher · 4219

Offline Tubegopher

• Don Palmer
on: April 17, 2022, 11:16:13 AM
I am many years analog as a picture of my boat will attest, and I do some music streaming of Pandora from my phone through a Dragonfly DAC, but I am hearing of items like this:
Bluesound Node2i streaming Tidal. What does this do, and what are the advantages of a dedicated streamer?
Thanks

300B amps with 6SJ7 in Triode mode, dc fil. volt. for 300Bs. BeePre with Bill Milosz built Eros Phono. Teres Turntable, Pete Riggle "12 inch Woody Tonearm" Grace F9  with Soundsmith ruby cantilever stylus.Cambridge Audio CD with MHDT Labs Orchid DAC Rega NAOS Spkrs, Atelier Rullit super tweeters

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: April 17, 2022, 01:13:13 PM
There are a few layers to what you're asking.  The first is that Tidal offers (or advertises at least) higher resolution streaming than Pandora for a subscription fee.  A box like the Bluesound can replace at PC and dedicated DAC and many of these devices can be controlled with a remote app on your phone, so you can set up multiple zones fairly easily without a substantial amount of equipment. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline adeep42

Reply #2 on: April 17, 2022, 01:38:15 PM
The very popular Blusound Node is a great way to start streaming. It offers access to most of the popular streaming services as well as radio stations all around the world that stream their content. It has a built in DAC of decent quality but offers the opportunity to use it with any DAC.

Offline Tubejack

Reply #3 on: April 18, 2022, 03:45:35 AM
As stated, there are many options/flavors wrt streaming.  As a DIY approach, I use a RPi4 with an Allo DigiOne Signature hat, and 2 x 5v linear power supplies, through my current DAC via coax.  My streaming source of choice is Quboz, but there are other options. You can load the RPi with a number of OS's.  If you want the pi to handle as server, I'd use Volumio. Use a tablet (iOS or Android) as wireless interface.  I have my pi setup as a Roon endpoint, and an older laptop as server (including my CD collection ripped to flac files), and a tablet using the Roon app as interface.

Or, there are many all in one plug & play systems, like this example  https://volumio.com/en/product/volumio-primo/
(I'm not endorsing or recommending, just an example.  Google is your friend.)

There are 10 types of people in this world,
Those that understand Binary and those that Don't!

Offline tsingle999

• We are all here because we are not all there.
Reply #4 on: April 18, 2022, 04:21:50 AM
I have a blusound node and it is very convenient using wifi and has a built in dac but I use another dac with it. I prefer the optical rendu - requires a hardwire and an optical ethernet converter and it sounds much better with linear power supplies. The other thing I have discovered is my BH dac was always a bit fussy but when I used Roon it worked flawlessly. So using Roon with tidal was the way to go but so may people with Roon claimed Qobuz sounded better so I tried that and sure enough i prefer the sound quality of Qobuz vs Tidal. The hi rez stuff sounds amazing!   

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.
Bottlehead Stat headphone amp with Wavelength Brick DAC

Offline Tubegopher

• Don Palmer
Reply #5 on: April 18, 2022, 07:25:15 AM
As stated, there are many options/flavors wrt streaming.  As a DIY approach, I use a RPi4 with an Allo DigiOne Signature hat, and 2 x 5v linear power supplies, through my current DAC via coax.  My streaming source of choice is Quboz, but there are other options. You can load the RPi with a number of OS's.  If you want the pi to handle as server, I'd use Volumio. Use a tablet (iOS or Android) as wireless interface.  I have my pi setup as a Roon endpoint, and an older laptop as server (including my CD collection ripped to flac files), and a tablet using the Roon app as interface.

Or, there are many all in one plug & play systems, like this example  https://volumio.com/en/product/volumio-primo/
(I'm not endorsing or recommending, just an example.  Google is your friend.)
Thank You for your post to me, I will review these things on Google. (however, I am going to have to go to Google translate as I am sure you are speaking in a foreign language!  ;D

300B amps with 6SJ7 in Triode mode, dc fil. volt. for 300Bs. BeePre with Bill Milosz built Eros Phono. Teres Turntable, Pete Riggle "12 inch Woody Tonearm" Grace F9  with Soundsmith ruby cantilever stylus.Cambridge Audio CD with MHDT Labs Orchid DAC Rega NAOS Spkrs, Atelier Rullit super tweeters

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: April 18, 2022, 09:09:14 AM
It's also worth mentioning that the Lumin streamers are another popular option.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man