Please help diagnose bad new tube

StormNinjaPenguin · 723

Offline StormNinjaPenguin

on: May 09, 2022, 10:07:52 AM
Hi all,

I finished my stock Crack last week (I love it!) and I bought a tube that's mentioned a lot in the tube rolling thread (Russian 6H13C) and it has an issue: after about 15-30 minutes the tube makes this hollow screeching noise:
imgur.com/a/M54m2Qd (I had to butcher the link because it didn't let me post it, please switch on sound if you open it)

I use open-back headphones and it's really annoying. I also hear the same nature of noise from the left cups of the headphones but it's too quiet to capture on a microphone - still, it's loud enough to be disturbing while listening to music. Also just gently shaking the tube next to my ear, I hear some rattling.

I don't experience any of these with the stock GE tube.

Is there a technical expression to this problem? I don't want to sound total noob when I write to the seller, even though I am a noob. According to some reviews, their customer service can be hard to deal with.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: May 09, 2022, 10:23:30 AM
It sounds like you got a tube that's a bit noisy.  I'd leave it on overnight and let it cook in to see if it goes away.  Even if the noise subsides a bit, that may be a sign that it could be remedied by running in for an extended period.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Reply #2 on: May 09, 2022, 10:48:10 AM
Thanks! I will do as you suggested, I like the sound of it so it is worth a try. Coming from you, it's good to know that it has no risk of damaging the Crack.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: May 09, 2022, 10:53:03 AM
I certainly didn't imply that there's no risk, but the risk is minimal and the Crack is generally an easy circuit to repair if something goes really wrong.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Reply #4 on: May 09, 2022, 11:34:41 AM
That's good enough :)
Thanks again for the answer! And for the Crack in general.

Offline TwoThirteen

Reply #5 on: May 14, 2022, 05:55:22 PM
I'd like to add to this that I thought I had a bad tube, because every ~20 seconds there would be a tiny popping sound. It turns out that a little bit of isopropyl alcohol and a few Q-tips cleaning the connecting pins under the tubes fixed the popping entirely. I believe there was corrosion/buildup there. GL!

Reply #6 on: May 17, 2022, 11:47:54 AM
I reply as closure because the seller is visible on the video I shared and I don't want to make a bad reputation for them. After the issue didn't go away after 2 days of uptime, I sent them a mail and they immediately sent a replacement. All good now, I prefer this 6H13C power tube over the stock GE tube.