Brainstorming session

Doc B. · 1867

Offline smodtactical

Reply #15 on: July 03, 2022, 04:36:11 PM
Moreplay upgrades interesting... just built it.

A high powered amp would be incredible!

Doc B I would love maybe upgrade options? Either you offering the parts yourself or having a little article at the bottom of the manual that suggests parts that would work.. Like maybe Audio note transformers. Mundorf caps.

Ok I have a secret desire to build a bottlehead amp that can rival the best DNA amps for less... you caught me. ;)

Online Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #16 on: July 04, 2022, 05:19:35 AM
For Mundorf caps, just buy an identical part to what's there.  If you want Audio Note transformers, you'll need to get an Audio Note amp as they aren't going to fit on our chassis plates and aren't going to work in our circuits.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline smodtactical

Reply #17 on: July 04, 2022, 03:02:18 PM
Have you guys ever thought of doing a non plate based design? Something where its like a box and parts can be screwed in? I guess it would be more complicated and lead to more issues.

Online Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #18 on: July 04, 2022, 03:09:35 PM
The box would have to be metal, and that would still have to be machined somehow.  We do our best to offer kits that can be built by someone living in an apartment (or even a dorm room), and requiring metal machining is a little beyond what a lot of people want to do and making one mistake in this process can lead to having to start over. 

On a higher level, if someone wants to buy one of our kits but also wants to change out all of the parts for something else, that is a substantial investment in time on our end to try to support something we've never tested nor listened to, and sometimes it puts us in the awkward position of trying to tell someone that some of the fancy parts they want are a downgrade from what we provide.   

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline smodtactical

Reply #19 on: July 04, 2022, 03:24:24 PM
Paul good points, I appreciate that.

Offline audiomaniac

• No hill too steep, no ditch too deep!
Reply #20 on: July 04, 2022, 03:59:24 PM
How about a remote volume control on the Moreplay?

John
------
Crack

Online Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #21 on: July 04, 2022, 04:03:35 PM
I would start with a completely different chassis and integrate at minimum a metal front panel in order to facilitate this, then you need to select an appropriate attenuator that's at most 10K.  When you go down this rabbit hole, some people want just a motorized volume pot, some want input selection also, while others prefer a resistor based stepped attenuator.  If you end up building something like this on your own, some surface mount soldering is often required.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline audiomaniac

Reply #22 on: July 04, 2022, 04:32:30 PM
I was thinking volume only and trying to keep it simple but I can see how it could get out of control pretty quickly.

John
------
Crack

Online Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #23 on: July 04, 2022, 04:41:03 PM
The big temptation with volume only is that it appears that you can just toss in the motorized pot, feed it power, and everything is good.  Once you get something like that in-hand, often you'll need to create a DC supply for it to make it work (I'm not certain the Moreplay transformer would have enough available headroom on the low voltage winding to deal with a motorized pot), and you'll have to determine where you are going to put the remote IR receiver so it can see what's coming out of your remote.  That ends up meaning that holes need to be cut and/or drilled in the wood base, and now it's tough to have a kit where you can just pop it out of the wood to service it.  It's a can of worms for sure!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline audiomaniac

Reply #24 on: July 04, 2022, 05:18:20 PM
Yeah, that's a bummer. Thanks Paul.

John
------
Crack

Online Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #26 on: July 05, 2022, 06:45:03 AM
It's 50K, so it's not a bad candidate for something like a Stereomour I, but definitely not a Moreplay.

Paul "PB" Birkeland