JJ 2A3-40 Tubes

kcleveland · 1390

Offline kcleveland

on: June 20, 2022, 08:54:07 AM
Just installed the "high power" 40W version of the 2A3s from JJ (Telsa) and the sound is fantastic. Notice immediate improvement in dynamics, bass control, articulation. All good and no bad so far. These should last a very long time too as they are running at much lower dissipation than rating. Would heartily recommend for other SM2 owners out there to give them a try. Not cheap (what tubes are these days) at ~$180 each with 24-hour burn-in from Tube Depot. Also got another set of ECC81 (12AT7)'s made by JJ for the signal tubes. Now have the original set of Sovteks and the JJ 12AT7s as backup. This integrated amp driving my relatively humble Madisound BK-16 kit speakers with Fostex drivers sounds outrageously great considering the total outlay of ~$2,300 including my source (Audioengine B1 Bluetooth interface with DAC).

Very pleased with this second system.

Offline IndyNate

Reply #1 on: June 30, 2022, 09:46:25 AM
All things considered that's pretty amazing value for a world-class reference amp! JJ are the only new production tubes I get excited about. Granted, I've had a few flame out early LOL, but places like TubeDepot and EuroTube always stood behind the product. Then no problems after.

Offline Altecboy

Reply #2 on: July 02, 2022, 12:32:46 AM
For what it's worth, McShane Design, my fav tube supplier, sells EH 2A3 for $177 a pair.  Matched.  Burned in.  For my money, he's the best supplier in the business.

I bought a pair and they are an improvement in my system over the Sovtek ones.

No business interest, just a happy customer.  He's at McShanedesign.net