kaiju driver board voltage question [resolved]

grosen · 1293

Offline grosen

on: June 22, 2022, 03:02:06 PM
Hi all,

I just went back to check the voltages on my Kaiju prior to installing the DC filament upgrade and everything's fine except that IA on both sides reads 441 VDC. (Should be 530 VDC ± 10%).  The other voltages are all on the low side but still in spec, and the amp has been running flawlessly and sounding great for a couple of months.  Any thoughts about what I should check? 

(I had all four tubes in when I ran the check if that makes a difference.) 

— Gideon

« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 04:57:52 PM by Paul Birkeland »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: June 22, 2022, 03:04:32 PM
IA will only be that high without the 300Bs in the socket.  With 300Bs in I would expect about 450V at IA, so you're only about 2% off of what's expected.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline grosen

Reply #2 on: June 22, 2022, 03:15:19 PM
Excellent.  Thanks, Paui.

Offline grosen

Reply #3 on: June 24, 2022, 01:39:01 AM
Quick update to say that the DC Filament Upgrade is fantastic.  I had just barely audible hum at the listening position with my 95db sensitive speakers — just enough so that I could always tell when I walked in to the room whether the amp was on.  It's funny how much of a subjective difference that can make.  With the upgrade the Kaiju is silent. (I have to check for tube glow to know from across the room whether the amp is on.). Sonically, I get more detail, so I listen at a slightly lower volume.  Just a pleasure.  Many thanks.