Completed Kaiju - Intermittent lower volume in right channel

laxbo8 · 1530

Offline laxbo8

I had a blast building the Kaiju and finished it up in the last week or so.  All voltages were within range and I was able to set the hum pots to around 6mv.  The first time I played the amp, the right channel was much quieter than the left so I checked the source, cables, etc and all was fine when I used a different amp.  When I went back to test the Kaiju again, it sounded great and both channels were at the same volume level.  Later that evening, the same issue occurred where the right channel became much quieter than the left.  I took the amp out of the system for a few days and put it back in today, and today the right channel was loud and clear.  I did make sure the trim pots were set correctly.  Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this?  This almost seems more difficult than intermittent no sound.  I have attached a photo of the underside of the amp.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
This is exactly what would motivate me to go looking for a loose connection that isn't quite all the way soldered.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline laxbo8

So it looks like one of the cats decided speaker cable would make a nice chew toy and essentially de-terminated one of the cables.  I'll certainly give the Kaiju a once over before I put in the DC filament supply!