BeePre2/amp matching

srxsfo · 1305

Offline srxsfo

on: June 29, 2022, 02:33:44 PM
Hi,

Am looking at building a Pre2. Output impedence is 3K, whereas my SS amps input is 47K. Speakers are 89dB. Will be using RCA.

Will this work or can the output be lowered?

Thx

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: June 29, 2022, 03:17:06 PM
I don't see any problem, unless the SS power amp has unusually high gain. In which case, a pair of  inline attenuators at the power amp's inputs will fix you right up.

Paul Joppa

Offline Sp33ls

Reply #2 on: September 08, 2022, 07:16:38 PM
Hey Paul,

I actually have a related question. How would this do with power amps that need a bit more voltage to get up and going?

I've built some SissySITs (Google search will bring you to DIYAudio) and I believe they need an input voltage of about 3.7V for full power. Granted, I don't suspect it'll be often I run these amps near max output. ;)

I also hope the BeePree 2 wouldn't pile on too much sugar on top of the already sweet-sounding SissySIT. You can see in the distortion spectrum that it's not all that different from some SET amps. I'm guessing this wouldn't be an issue at all (since it was designed with the Kaiju in mind), but just curious. I think I've read that the BeePree is mostly transparent with just a hint of some organic goodness injected into the music.

Do you suspect the BeePree 2 would work nicely?

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #3 on: September 09, 2022, 06:03:38 PM
I have built a. SissySiT and I don't think you would have any problems driving it with a BeePre...John

John Scanlon

Offline Sp33ls

Reply #4 on: September 10, 2022, 06:36:37 PM
Awesome, thank you John.

I suspected that it wouldn't be a problem. Appreciate the input.