USB DAC

Natural Sound · 24218

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #30 on: April 22, 2011, 05:14:30 AM
I have not compared the two, but Amarra really improves the upper and midbass compared to iTunes in my system, and that's where I find a lot of shortcomings with digital. I get the impression that some feel that Pure Music is, I think the words used were "very clear". Possibly this boils down to the old tonal balance thing where a touch of bass emphasis has the plus of giving the music some more foundation, and something with a hint of high emphasis gives the music a sense of more air and detail.

Guys whose ears I respect greatly are in both camps, some liking Amarra better some liking PM better. Probably best to download demos and compare yourself.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #31 on: April 22, 2011, 06:17:09 AM
Yoder,

I had just written a reply when Dan did, and had another message sent off to the big bit bucket in the sky.  Anyway, I said basically the same thing -- you really need to hear both on your system to see which one works best with it.

Truth is that I think they swap the "lead" with each new release, and of course some systems respond better to certain areas being emphasized/de-emphasized, which is really why you should check out both demos.  I will say that every new release of PM has been an upgrade in terms of sonics (and function).

I also think if you look more in depth at the Channel D site, especially at the other products and the various papers you'll see lots of references to various mathematical algorithms/precision/accuracy isues.  Also, calling Rob Robinson directly may be a good idea.  He's a really nice and super smart guy (inventor of the tunneling electron microscope at Bell Labs), and I'm sure more than capable of talking math and such.

Obviously they are both excellent programs, though the price and copy protection of Amarra, plus the fact that you have a fixed term for updates, beyond which you have to purchase upgrades, is what initially led me to PM, and it seems to be a very nice fit with my system.

HTH,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
Reply #32 on: August 16, 2011, 04:21:41 PM
Got my HRT II + yesterday and now have it hooked up to the Crack driving my HD600.  I must say I am quite impressed thus far with its performance.  Very clear and neutral which is what I was looking for with a DAC.  This comb should keep me happy until DOC can come out with something better!

Offline williaty

Reply #33 on: August 16, 2011, 08:37:45 PM
I have a HRT MusicStreamer II+ and I'm extremely impressed by it. If that's within your budget, I'd recommend it strongly as nothing else I tried that was anything less than twice the price sounded nearly as good.

Since the topic of using Macs was brought up several times in this thread, check out the review of BitPerfect.app I just posted here. It's a hell of a great thing for us Mac users!

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #34 on: August 18, 2011, 05:50:39 AM
Hey Ty,

If you're feeling aventurous, check out this little goodie:

http://www.aqvox.de/usb-power_en.html

Lots of folks have reported excellent results and improvements to their HRT dacs, as well as many others usin this clean, linear supply to power the dac receiver chip.

I don't have one yet -- partially because I'm afraid that if I get one, I'll need another for my Tranquility and another for my audiophilleo AP2.

-- Jim

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

Offline williaty

Reply #35 on: August 18, 2011, 09:20:20 AM
Given that the engineer at HRT has repeatedly gone on record saying that the MS line doesn't benefit from audiophile USB cords or power supplies, I'll be going with his thoughts. :lol: Seriously, though, I'm a pretty significant empiricist. I don't trust sighted listening tests at all. Until someone publishes data showing better measurements from an HRT product using an external power supply, I'll be going with the design engineer's assertion that they have the power supply thing under control.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #36 on: August 18, 2011, 11:54:09 AM
Well, they all say that, and I have yet to find a usb dac tat doesn't improve, sometimes very significantly, with a better usb cabl.

I also cryoed my MS II+ and that too was a nice improvement.

Hey, the cable company will lend you various usb cables to try for yourself.

BTW, for years Gordon Rankin said that a belken gold usb cable was all you needed for best performance from his dcs, now he's recommending the wireworld sar light -- significantly more expensive than the $6 belken, but not outrageous as some usb cables.  Won't really cost you much of anything to try for yourself.

-- Jim

Offline dbishopbliss

Reply #37 on: August 18, 2011, 03:14:52 PM
I don't trust sighted listening tests at all.

Then you should trust Jim's opinion. 

(Sorry Jim, I couldn't resist.  I hope you aren't offended)

David B Bliss
Bottlehead: Foreplay I, Foreplay III, Paramour I w/Iron Upgrade, S.E.X. w/Iron Upgrade
Speakers: FE127E Metronomes, Jim Griffin Jordan/Aurum Cantus Monitors, ART Arrays
Other: Lightspeed Attenuator, "My Ref" Rev C Amps, Lampucera DAC

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #38 on: August 19, 2011, 09:07:56 AM
David,

No problem, and I was about to make the same remark myself :-).

Offline Yoder

Reply #39 on: December 01, 2011, 04:20:26 AM
I got a demo of both Amarra and Pure Music. Once I started playing with the parametric equalizers on the Amarra, then that is when I jumped on the Amarra bandwagon. I am currently using FW with my Duet, but once I get the system completed then I will have it on two different comuters. Having purchased Amarra for $350 or less at RMAF, and knowing that I can run it on two computers made it a killer deal in my book.