Balance knob problem

smodtactical · 836

Offline smodtactical

on: July 05, 2022, 05:57:51 AM
With my balance knob if I turn it to the right the left channel decreases as expected from the neutral position but if I turn it to the left from neutral nothing really happens.

I tried to reflow a couple of the joints that I thought maybe were not good but still no changes. Any idea why ? Tried to get photos but its a tight space.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: July 05, 2022, 06:09:01 AM
The focus is a little fuzzy on the joints in the images, but in general I'd suggest scrutinizing each of the solder joints for the on the balance pot. After verifying that all the connections to it are correct reflow the joints and make sure you have any excess leads trimmed.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline smodtactical

Reply #2 on: July 05, 2022, 06:22:40 AM
Ok will work on it Doc, thanks.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: July 05, 2022, 06:34:11 AM
Is the 100K pot in the balance pot hole and the 10K pot in the volume control hole?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline smodtactical

Reply #4 on: July 05, 2022, 08:33:26 AM
Is the 100K pot in the balance pot hole and the 10K pot in the volume control hole?

I don't know but the volume knob says 'BJ3' on the side of it. the balance one doesn't seem to have writing.

Offline smodtactical

Reply #5 on: July 05, 2022, 04:45:40 PM
I think I am ok since I see writing on the volume pot in the manual too and the balance one has nothing.

Offline smodtactical

Reply #6 on: July 05, 2022, 06:51:26 PM
While I was trying to reflow some of the balance knob joints my top blue resistor broke (not sure if it was already broken). So will have to order a new one.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: July 06, 2022, 07:36:45 AM
No, that writing you've shown a picture of is not how the pots are called out the manual to be sure you don't accidentally swap them.  I would double check the instructions for pot placement vs. what you have wired in now, as your conditions would indicate that as a very likely potential problem.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline smodtactical

Reply #8 on: July 06, 2022, 04:23:31 PM
No, that writing you've shown a picture of is not how the pots are called out the manual to be sure you don't accidentally swap them.  I would double check the instructions for pot placement vs. what you have wired in now, as your conditions would indicate that as a very likely potential problem.

? huh

That picture is not my moreplay is direct from the manual.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: July 06, 2022, 05:36:56 PM
The last two instructions in the manual on page 20 provide the directions for which pot to install in each hole.  One pot will say "B100K" on it and one will say "A10K".  The black writing you showed in your photo is not where those labels are, and I bet that same black stamp is present on both parts (it will face in opposite directions).

You need to at least pull the nuts off one of the pots and slide it out of the chassis plate to examine the surface that faces the chassis plate to determine whether it's the correct part, or you could set your meter to DC resistance and measure between the outer pairs of lugs on the upper and lower levels of the pot that's in the hole for the volume pot.  If you get about 100K, you have the pots swapped.

Paul "PB" Birkeland