Power Transformer Cover Difficult to Install

RdDgWest · 2773

Offline RdDgWest

on: July 21, 2022, 03:18:57 AM
Hi
The first power transformer cover on one of the MonAmour chassis, although snug went on easily.

The power transformer cover for the other chassis will start to go over the transformer but binds up on the sides of the transformer bell or the sides of the power transformer.  I am observing the position of the ridges on the inside of the transformer cover. 

I have not removed the transformer cover that was installed on the other MonAmour chassis to observe the power transformer. 

I do see this piece that extends past the side of the transfer that is not on the other sides of the transformer.  It does appear it could be were the binding starts that prevents the transfer cover from sliding over the transformer

Curious if what is shown in the photo is a potential issues, the transformer bell or the transformer body. 

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: July 21, 2022, 04:14:35 AM
Is there a corresponding indent on the other side of the transformer at the level where that I lamination is?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline RdDgWest

Reply #2 on: July 21, 2022, 04:16:54 AM
Yes there is an ident.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 04:22:08 AM by RdDgWest »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: July 21, 2022, 04:29:21 AM
We can swap out that power transformer for you if the cover won't slip over.  That lamination must have slipped while drying and didn't get caught by QC.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline RdDgWest

Reply #4 on: July 21, 2022, 04:37:15 AM
Could I run a file over that lamination to take it down until the cover slides over or is that a bad idea?

As is will this cause issues with the power transformer over time?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: July 21, 2022, 04:44:58 AM
You can try that and it shouldn't cause any transformer problems if you don't file into the stack (though even if you filed into the stack a little bit, I still suspect you'd be OK).  If you get the lam filed down, I would paint over any exposed steel with some spray paint before slipping on the transformer cover.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline RdDgWest

Reply #6 on: July 23, 2022, 08:21:25 AM
Got the lamination filed down.  Blue taped off the area around the protruding lamination.  Started with a flat metal file.  Quickly switched over to the Dremel on the slowest speed.  This is the outcome without the spray paint.