Losing left channel/high voltages post-Speedball install [Resolved]

aravenel · 1263

Offline aravenel

Hi all,

I built a Crack about 2 years ago (great instructions!). I used it happily for about 18 months with no issue before installing a Speedball kit a few months ago. The speedball kit passed all resistance and voltage checks when done, but after using for a month or so, I started getting intermittent drops in the left channel which got worse over time. I finally put the amp on the bench and started troubleshooting. I noticed several strange voltage readings and am not sure how to proceed troubleshooting--I fixed a couple of questionable solder joints, but that does not seem to have resolved anything and the voltages remained the same. The problematic voltages I am seeing are:

Small board:
OA: 176v (vs 60-90 target)

Large board:
OB: 174v (vs 75-100 target)

Terminals:
1: 177v (vs 50-100 target)
7: 174v (vs 90-115v target)

Are there any suggestions here? Clearly those voltages are way over target, but I am not sure what to test next to try to trace the issue.

Many thanks for the help--this forum has been a great resource!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 06:47:59 AM by aravenel »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022, 11:34:44 AM
Are both halves of the 12AU7 glowing?  Are both socket LEDs glowing? (if one is not, please do not attempt to resolder it)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline aravenel

Reply #2 on: July 28, 2022, 02:01:24 PM
It does look like one half of the 12au7 is no longer glowing, and the LED at A8 appears to be out as well.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: July 28, 2022, 07:31:32 PM
Inspect the connection at A4 and A5.  One is loose.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline aravenel

Reply #4 on: July 29, 2022, 06:04:58 AM
I looked at A4 and A5, and neither looked loose or like a poor joint. All the same, I reflowed them both, but unfortunately readings are all still the same, and the LED and half the 12au7 are still out  :-\

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: July 29, 2022, 12:00:08 PM
Can you post a pic of the 9 pin socket wiring?  It's also possible you may need to pull out and reinsert the 12AU7 a time or two if the pins are a bit oxidized.  Once you get the second half of the 12AU7 to light up, your voltages will likely snap back into place.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline aravenel

Reply #6 on: July 31, 2022, 05:01:41 AM
For some reason I cannot get photos to upload here, so I put a photo on imgur: https://imgur.com/a/8tAukL1

I am tempted to unsolder and clean every connection here and wire it back up... Think I have some extra LEDs in case I fry one taking it apart (had that issue when building!).

I removed/reinserted the tube a few times and that didnt seem to make a difference, so I am supposing I have a bad joint in here somewhere...

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: July 31, 2022, 05:29:54 AM
Any LED that you solder twice is automatically suspect, as it doesn't take much heat to melt them.  What kind of solder are you using? 

Can you post a pic of your 12AU7 that's only half glowing?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline aravenel

Reply #8 on: July 31, 2022, 05:54:08 AM
I also just went back and re-did the resistance checks--I wonder if something else is going on. Notably, I am seeing open circuit at terminals 7, 9, B3, and B6, all of which are supposed to be 2.9k-ohm.

I wonder if there more than one problem going on here...  :-[

Offline aravenel

Reply #9 on: July 31, 2022, 05:57:38 AM
Any LED that you solder twice is automatically suspect, as it doesn't take much heat to melt them.  What kind of solder are you using? 

Can you post a pic of your 12AU7 that's only half glowing?

Yes, I burned out one of the LEDs when I first wired it up (pre-speedball) and had to order more to replace the one I burned up. Lesson learned... I do have a few more though if you think I should replace some out of caution.

I am using tin/lead electronics solder--this stuff here: https://www.parts-express.com/Electronic-Solder-60-40-0.8mm-0.031-1-lb.-Spool-370-032
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 06:06:08 AM by aravenel »

Offline aravenel

Reply #10 on: July 31, 2022, 06:05:23 AM
And here is a photo of the 12au7 glowing--can (barely) see what is the left half in this image glowing: https://imgur.com/a/36njovJ

This picture is taken from the right side of the amp, so this would be the front half of the tube if you were looking at it normally.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #11 on: July 31, 2022, 06:27:20 AM
I would pull a little more of the wire through terminals A4/5 so you have some to crimp over A4.

You don't see 2.9K because the 3K resistors are removed when the Speedball is installed.

It's also possible you may need to try a different 12AU7, just to rule that out.  If you remove the 6080, you can check proper operation of the heater circuit with a 12AT7 or 12AX7 as well, but I wouldn't run the amp with those 9 pin tubes and the 6080 installed.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline aravenel

Reply #12 on: August 04, 2022, 10:25:32 AM
OK. I will try pulling more wire through and making sure I have a good joint there.

Is there any way to test the tube short of swapping it? Hate throwing (not inexpensive) parts at things if I can avoid it...

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #13 on: August 04, 2022, 04:49:27 PM
You can measure the DC resistance between pin 4 and 9 on the tube itself and pin 5 and 9.  They should be about the same.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline aravenel

Reply #14 on: August 08, 2022, 10:22:06 AM
OK--against the tube itself I am getting open circuit b/t 5 and 9, and a ranging value that doesn't seem to want to settle even after a few seconds between 4 and 9. Given that, I think I will try swapping the tube and see if that fixes it...