Troubles getting getting started with S.E.X. :D

sventyfour · 17075

Offline booangler

• My first love! Not Me... Fishing!!!
Reply #15 on: November 06, 2009, 08:11:16 AM
Alan,

I have a Weller TCP (?) I have had since the 70s.  I had to buy a new tip earlier this year, the first since it was new.  All Weller's are not cheap.  I expect that isn't what you meant to indicate but it is how it sounded to me.

As testament to Wellers, Terry DeWick's workshop is strewn with Wellers.  It is all he uses.  And he solders all day long 7 days a week.  This is his site:

http://www.mcintoshaudio.com/dewick_repairs.htm

Check out the pictures.  His work is beautiful.  And the Yamaha T-1 he aligned for me was amazing.  (I should say here I am just a fan, I am not affiliated with Terry.)

Possibly the cheapest Wellers are worse than the cheapest Temkas or Hakkos.  But a beginner might buy a $13 soldering station and buy a better one later.

By the way, how do you get a link to have different text than the address?  I'm awful with computers.

Grainger,

Not implying they were cheap I just don't think they are as solid as they once used to be. I recently took some Classes at RIT, where the Wellers were not holding up very well and I based my statement on that experience.

As for the Hyperlink with text, I'll need to send you an email as I can not make it not work, So I cab not demonstrate the proper format. If you shoot me a PM with you email I'll fire off an example.

Please don't take offense, I was merely stating my opinion.

PS.. I love the link, thanks.

Cheers Alan

The joy of music should never be interrupted by a commercial - Leonard Bernstein

Denon POA | PJCCS Quickie | Hagerman Bugle | SOTA Sapphire w/ Grado Gold | B&W 602

Offline Grainger49

Reply #16 on: November 06, 2009, 08:21:59 AM
Crap!  

I discovered that early on and completely forgot it.  Getting old is awful!  Yup, I'm a bit behind you but degrading rapidly!  Can't remember a thing these days!

Alan, PM sent.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 08:26:28 AM by Grainger49 »