Finish on transformer end bell

MilderER · 4620

Offline MilderER

on: August 24, 2022, 06:13:44 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but can I use Tried and True Danish oil to put a finish on a transformer end bell? (I'm already using T&T to finish the base of my Crack.)

Thanks for any advice.

-Jonathan

Jonathan M

Offline caffeinator

Reply #1 on: August 25, 2022, 02:31:02 AM
I took a look at the Tried & True web site; their FAQ indicates their finish is intended for wood but can be used on metal surfaces, as well as others. It is a polymerized linseed oil material, like many or most oil-based varnishes. Other similar products likewise indicate compatibility with metal. Of course, metal will not absorb the oil so apply sparingly.

In other words; there's no harm in trying it. And, once you've tried it, you can let us know if it's...Tried and, um...True.

Offline MilderER

Reply #2 on: August 25, 2022, 03:19:53 AM
Super. Thanks so much, Caffeinator. I'll give it a try and report on the truth of the results.

Jonathan M

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: August 25, 2022, 04:02:51 AM
In case it matters, the temperature of the metal is well above room temperature. We try to keep it below 140F (60C); not all finishes are happy with that.

Paul Joppa

Offline MilderER

Reply #4 on: August 25, 2022, 01:24:56 PM
Thanks, Paul. Sounds like I might want to hold off on the Tried & True for the bell. Any recommendations for clear coat products, preferably minimally toxic, something I can apply indoors?   

Jonathan M

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: August 25, 2022, 03:11:26 PM
The least toxic option for indoor use would probably be to brush on some Rustoleum oil based paint.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline MilderER

Reply #6 on: August 26, 2022, 04:38:03 PM
Perfect. I'll be sure to track some down. Thanks so much for the suggestion.

Jonathan M

Offline mete

Reply #7 on: May 01, 2023, 12:23:17 AM
In case it matters, the temperature of the metal is well above room temperature. We try to keep it below 140F (60C); not all finishes are happy with that.

I was wondering about this and I found this post. Particularly for Crack, would it be possible for transformer end bell to reach 80C ?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: May 01, 2023, 04:06:24 AM
80C seems a bit on the warm side, but in a really hot room on 50Hz mains, that could account for some of the extra heat. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: May 01, 2023, 04:33:55 AM
If the maximum temperature is 60C at normal ambients (which it is), that's a temperature rise of 35C relative to a 25C ambient. So you would expect an ambient of 45C (113F) to produce 80C at the power transformer surface. Such a temperature is not unheard of, but it's rare.

I am assuming the typical ambient temperature is 15C (59F) to 25C (77F).

Paul Joppa

Offline mete

Reply #10 on: May 01, 2023, 05:00:36 AM
If the maximum temperature is 60C at normal ambients (which it is), that's a temperature rise of 35C relative to a 25C ambient. So you would expect an ambient of 45C (113F) to produce 80C at the power transformer surface. Such a temperature is not unheard of, but it's rare.

I am assuming the typical ambient temperature is 15C (59F) to 25C (77F).

OK. I was not sure if 60C is an average or maximum. So I understand it is not average, but like a maximum, then I dont think I can ever reach 80C (ambient is max. 28-30C for me even in the summer). I will use a coating spray rated for 80C, that is the reason of the question.