Source selector knob too high?

thibodeaux · 836

Offline thibodeaux

on: September 09, 2022, 10:06:49 AM
Maybe I'm dense, but I can't seem to get the knob on the source selector to seat fully and it sticks up higher than the others, and has an 1/8" gap between it and the chassis. is this normal for this kit?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: September 09, 2022, 10:30:59 AM
You can move the other knobs up 1/8" or cut the shaft of the selector switch down slightly.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline thibodeaux

Reply #2 on: September 09, 2022, 11:09:44 AM
Yeah, I looked at it a bit more and the problem is that the rotary switch has a different base that doesn't allow the knob to go down to the chassis. I guess it is what it is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Mucker

Reply #3 on: September 09, 2022, 05:58:55 PM
Mine was a two part solution.

1. Cut off an 1/8 inch of the shaft.

2. Cut off all plastic above the mounting nut. Making it flush with the nut is perfect. I used a hacksaw blade (bare blade removed from saw) and took my time being careful not to cut into the shaft as I worked around it.

The trick is getting rid of the plastic above the nut or the knob will never mount flush. Going to a different style of knob could work as well but the BH supplied ones will not mount flush without modification.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 07:50:11 AM by Mucker »

Offline thibodeaux

Reply #4 on: September 10, 2022, 07:58:36 AM
Ahh, great job - thanks for the tip!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: September 10, 2022, 10:17:04 AM
When we put out the attenuator upgrade, you may find that you wish you had the extra plastic on the selector switch back (and the attenuator switches have longer shafts as well).

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline lms

Reply #6 on: September 12, 2022, 12:28:13 AM
I did the same, you have to use a Dremel on the knob itself. Could not stand it being higher than the others. But once again, just me being anal.