Upgrading caps/Rookie question

BrianMid · 908

Offline BrianMid

on: September 10, 2022, 02:13:58 PM
When upgrading the 2.2uF caps, are you simply changing the type of cap, (to say Odam), or are you changing the uF rating as well?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: September 10, 2022, 04:47:55 PM
You could go up to 3.3uF if you'd like, but otherwise it's a qualitative change. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline BrianMid

Reply #2 on: September 10, 2022, 05:38:21 PM
Thanks, I figured it was mainly about changing type, but was surprised, given all I've read from many sources, that when I changed only one channel to a Vcap Odam and gave it about 100 hours of burn in, I can hear no difference between the stock and the Vcap.

Offline BrianMid

Reply #3 on: September 11, 2022, 05:31:33 PM
Well, I spoke too soon. A difference is now apparent. The Odam has a richer and more pronounced bass. Don't know if I will keep it or not. I already have some hearing loss in upper frequencies, so may be too warm for me, but I'll give it more time and see what happens.

Offline greg788

Reply #4 on: September 12, 2022, 11:28:22 AM
You could go up to 3.3uF if you'd like, but otherwise it's a qualitative change.

Paul, since I have several pairs of 3.3uF from a recent speaker build, with a SS amplifier, just confirming no issues with using 3.3uF instead of 2.2uF?

Offline kgoss

Reply #5 on: September 12, 2022, 03:35:11 PM
Typically speaker crossovers use lower voltage rated caps than amplifiers. You don’t want to use any cap with a lower voltage rating than the Bottlehead recommended value regardless of its uF value.

Ken Goss