I have finished my Sex 3.0 amp and it sounds fantastic.

Big Bamboo · 1277

Online Big Bamboo

on: September 22, 2022, 08:11:21 AM
Hi,

I finished the basic build a few weeks ago which was dead silent even at full volume.

So, this week I completed the C4S upgrade which unfortunately introduced some random static on one channel. Re flowing the solder joints on the PCB eliminated that issue, so all is good.

So far I have listened with my HD600 (purchased for the Crack I built) as well as experimenting with some speaker/subs that I happened to have. The speakers are used at my computer in near field.
I settled on using a vintage set of Canton Plus S speakers along with their matching Canton Plus S passive subwoofer. These were purchase in the 80’s. and are rated at 88db. The setup is plenty loud for my use and delivers amazing bass (eg. Bach's toccata and fugue in d minor, organ)

For those interested:
The wooden base was stained with Minwax Sedona Red and overcoated with Poly.
The top plate and choke covers were painted with Rustoleum gloss ivory paint and over coated with Rustoleum acrylic clear coat.
The power transformer had some ugly varnish residue on the sides which required careful sanding and then spraying with Rustoleum black semi gloss paint. The bells of the transformer and chokes were clear coated. If I had it to do over again, I might choose to paint the choke covers black instead of ivory.

So, It’s been another fun adventure and I'm kind of bummed that it is over. My next project is to assist my son in law with building the Eros 2 which I bought him.

I want to give a big THANK YOU! to all the people on the boards who were there to help me when I got stuck. You guys are THE BEST!

John

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: September 22, 2022, 08:17:10 AM
Looks great!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline ccmccull

Reply #2 on: September 22, 2022, 08:22:30 AM
Great look, and just enough debugging trouble to make the build interesting!

Colin
{Ortofon 2m Blue > U-Turn Orbit > Eros 2} & {Roon Ropieee RPi4 > hifiberry-digi2-pro > ANK DAC 2.1} > Moreplay > S.E.X. > {{Spendor_S3/5r2 & SVS_SB-1000 (x3)} & Grado_sr325x}