crackle in both speakers [resolved]

rskmd83 · 809

Offline rskmd83

on: September 24, 2022, 03:54:31 AM
Just completed my Moreplay .All resistance and voltage tests good. When playing, I get intermittent periods of crackling in both speakers. Otherwise, sound is quite good. Any thoughts?

PS. Running a Bluesound Node 2i in and an Adcom GFA555.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 04:05:46 PM by Paul Birkeland »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: September 24, 2022, 05:19:08 AM
Is it a crackling, or does it sound more like periodic noise? (like helicopter blades perhaps)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline rskmd83

Reply #2 on: September 24, 2022, 06:23:38 AM
captain crunch crackles. I was wondering if the Bluesound was clipping.??Never hapened before. (BTW, don't hear them now)

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: September 24, 2022, 06:28:25 AM
You may be hearing a solder joint that isn't 100%. If there's any periodicity to the noise, then I would be looking at wireless devices in close proximity to the preamp.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline rskmd83

Reply #4 on: September 24, 2022, 09:04:41 AM
I was worried about a bad solder joint. Before powering up I inspected everything closely and didn't see anything worrisome. being in both speakers should narrow things down a bit.
its been only a few hours that I have it running. Ill give it more time to get a clearer idea if possible.
if it doesn't clear up on its own, ill ask for suggestions on hunting down a bad solder

Thanks

Ron k

Offline lms

Reply #5 on: September 25, 2022, 01:40:21 AM
I had a crackle and I too thought, no way, I checked all the solder joints before I fired her up. I then checked again with my magnifying glass with a light from all angles and what do you know. One looked suspect, and that fixed it.

Offline rskmd83

Reply #6 on: September 25, 2022, 03:36:39 AM
thank you. I see now that the noise resolves after a warmup period. I did a google search and found that this seems to be a not infrequent problem with guitar amps. I will follow your suggestion. Thanks again

Offline rskmd83

Reply #7 on: September 25, 2022, 10:29:21 AM
Problem solved. One tube not seated completely.
Thanks again