Chassis

OverAnalyst · 957

Offline OverAnalyst

• experimental indie/punk/jazz
on: September 30, 2022, 02:53:14 PM
After building up the Moreplay, has anyone ever disassembled the preamp to paint the chassis? If so, how was the disassembly/reassembly of the preamp?
The chassis has no surface finish (no circular brush finish), and I'd like to add something to it. I've a feeling its not worth the effort but thought I'd ask.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: September 30, 2022, 03:07:02 PM
Just to clarify when you say the surface has no finish - it has a straight grained finish on top, yes? That's the finish I put on the panels these days instead of the random brushed finish. I grain the panels with a drum sander, as I am no longer able to do the random finish with a wire brush in an angle grinder. It's quite unlikely that a panel would have been sent out with no graining at all on the top side, but I want to make sure.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline OverAnalyst

Reply #2 on: September 30, 2022, 03:28:19 PM
It could be me, but it appears to have no finish; it looks like raw stock finish. When compared to my Reduction, it is different.

Online Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: September 30, 2022, 03:31:44 PM
That is a straight grain finish.  I would definitely not try to disassemble an amp to paint the top plate.  A clean stock built kit is often pretty easy to sell, and it would definitely be easier to start over with a fresh chassis plate and parts.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #4 on: September 30, 2022, 03:35:32 PM
I bought a Bottlehead Pre-Amp (Foreplay III) on eBay many years ago. The previous owner did a hack job assembling it. The wiring was a mess and the bell end of the power transformer had rusted over. The whole thing was an ugly mess. I got it real cheap with the intention of disassembling/painting/rebuilding. It wound up being a MUCH bigger job than I originally thought. It's doable if you have the time and patience. Mine came out great and it still resides in my brother's system. I'm not sure I'd do it again though.

Offline OverAnalyst

Reply #5 on: September 30, 2022, 03:51:22 PM
Thanks PB. I guess my perception needs some calibrating. I don't think I'll go as far as selling and building another. At least not now.
Thanks NS for your feedback. I will certainly take your word for it. I'm deficient on time and patience.

Offline caffeinator

Reply #6 on: October 01, 2022, 04:08:11 AM
I have, in the past, changed the color of some completed Bottlehead gear. I did not disassemble it to paint, though. The transformer stayed in place; I just masked very carefully around it. Tube sockets likewise, though if I remember correctly I removed the screws. Snap-fit items like the power entry module and the power switch were lifted slightly from their installed positions and masked around but not disconnected.

I gave it a very light sand to prep for paint, cleaned with compressed gas, a vacuum, and then an IPA wipe. I used the masked base as a stand for painting. All in all, it was a straightforward task and not that time-consuming.

If I remember correctly, it was my SEX 2.0 that I repainted; can't recall what color I changed it from, but I think I wanted it to match my Paramounts, which I'd painted in a kind of antique gold finish. I've since switched all my new builds to mostly dark charcoal (almost black), black, or silver (clear painted standard BH finish), following the two poles between which audio fashion seems to swing. If it's something I'm likely to keep a long time, I go with charcoal/black. If I might not keep it a long time, I go with silver.

I mention all that because now, years later, when I look at my SEX amp or my Paramounts, though they look like nice antique-gold things, they appear hopelessly dated. When I look at my black or silver items, they just look like audio gear. Makes me wish I'd heeded the Rolling Stones, and decided to "Paint it, Black."

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #7 on: October 01, 2022, 05:01:59 AM
though they look like nice antique-gold things, they appear hopelessly dated. When I look at my black or silver items, they just look like audio gear. Makes me wish I'd heeded the Rolling Stones, and decided to "Paint it, Black."

Altec green, man. You can't go wrong with Altec green.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline rockdoc

Reply #8 on: October 01, 2022, 11:59:11 AM
Altec green, man. You can't go wrong with Altec green.

Is this available in a can?

I like hammertones. Any grounding problems with spraying the top of my new Moreplay plate before I start building?

Steve Tag

Online Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: October 01, 2022, 12:32:53 PM
If you leave the bottom unpainted, all is well.  Do be aware that the hammer finish paint needs a long, long time to dry.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 12:48:58 PM by Doc B. »

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline rockdoc

Reply #10 on: October 01, 2022, 01:01:38 PM
thanks Paul, that's what I figured , just wanted to double check.

Steve Tag

Offline Tom-s

Reply #11 on: October 01, 2022, 02:01:34 PM
I’ve used green Hamerite with good succes on my BH builds.

Here’s a SEX variation with green plate chokes
https://forum.bottlehead.com/index.php?topic=12766.msg116757#msg116757