SEX resistance checks - Not 0 Ohm

bineland · 1513

Offline bineland

on: October 16, 2022, 03:49:20 PM
Hey all, just finished up building the SEX kit and I have a question about the 0 Ohm values during the resistance checks.

When I do my checks, all of my values that are listed as 0 Ohm in the manual come back at ~1.4 Ohm on my meter.  In the instructions it says "consider any readings you get near this value as being 0 Ohm."  Does my 1.4 Ohm reading for these terminals qualify as 0 Ohm for this?  This is more than a "fraction of an Ohm" that the manual mentions.

Thanks for your help!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: October 16, 2022, 05:49:33 PM
Yup that is close enough. Did you touch the two test leads together and see what the reading is? You should always do that before you do a measurement where you expect near 0 ohms because there is usually enough resistance between the test tips to affect the reading. Subtract the reading you get when the bare test tips touch each other from your in circuit measurement. That will give you the actual resistance of the connection. For example if the test tips touched together read 0.5 ohms and your in circuit measurement reads 1.4 ohms your actual measurement is 1.4 ohms - 0.5 ohms = 0.9 ohms.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #2 on: October 16, 2022, 05:51:46 PM
You should be ok, the meter leads add a little, touch the bare probes together and see what they read by themselves...John

John Scanlon

Offline bineland

Reply #3 on: October 17, 2022, 03:35:03 PM
Excellent!  Thank you very much for you help and clarifications.  Minimal resistance when touching the leads, but everything checks out voltage wise.  Amp sounds great!