Stereophile collection

tpatton · 1966

Offline tpatton

on: January 19, 2011, 11:19:04 AM
I have Stereophile mags from 1992 thru 2004 with only a few missing, and would like to give them away.
I can get 24 of the large ones in a USPS fixed price box and ship for $10.95.  (I hope it's okay to be saying this in the Forum, but will assume so since I can't see why not.)  It would be nice to get rid of them all at once, and I don't want to break up any given year, so one year's worth will be the smallest number I'm willing to ship, and it would be more economical to ship them in two year batches.  Any interest?  My closet will be grateful.  A check or money order to cover the USPS fixed price box would be fine, but if you prefer Paypal, please make it $11.33 per box.  Interested parties can reach me at [email protected].

Offline tbbenton

Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 01:57:27 PM
FYI - I would expect media mail to be cheaper: 20 lbs is $9.79.

Tom Benton

Offline tpatton

Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 06:37:58 AM
USPS doesn't specify a weight, so your "20 lbs" puzzles me.  The whole point is that ANY weight goes for the same price.  In any case, I chose the box that the mags fit into best.  It was a good fit.  I could weigh a box with 26 mags in it, but there would be no point.  I'll soon just recyle them all, as even carrying them into a bookstore that would accept them as a gift would be a lot of work--I hate to think what the whole collection weighs, but carrying even a 6" stack feels like a lot of work to me in my present condition.

Offline tbbenton

Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 06:49:57 AM
Trying to help, that's all.  I am not personally interested in the magazines.  The USPS offers generally low prices for the mailing of media (books, magazines, etc.)  I was pointing out that you might find a better shipping deal that way.  The rates are available on the USPS website, but it's not otherwise terribly well known.  Here's a link to prices by weight:
http://www.usps.com/prices/media-mail-prices.htm

Wish you the best.

Tom Benton

Offline tpatton

Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 08:09:38 AM
Thanks, Tom.  Now I understand, and will look into it.  Audiogon is going to let me advertise them free, which will reach a bigger audience, and maybe it will work out yet.  From my perspective, the Bottlehead Forum offers better reading than I can usually find discussed in Stereophile,  but to each his own, and maybe someone will want them, old as they are by now.  I should have done this years ago, of course.