Resistor lead fell into transformer... d'oh

dstarr3 · 576

Offline dstarr3

on: October 31, 2022, 04:20:47 AM
So I was using some flush cutters to snip off the excess length of a resistor lead after soldering it, and of course the snipped off piece fell right into the transformer and I can't seem to shake it out.

I finished the rest of the assembly but haven't done resistance checks yet, nor have I plugged it in or powered it on yet. Is that spare bit of lead in the transformer going to be a problem, or are things relatively well protected in there? If I do need to get it out, any advice as to how?

Thanks!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: October 31, 2022, 05:00:58 AM
Yeah, you want to get it out of there as it could create a short inside the transformer. Can you see the lead?

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline dstarr3

Reply #2 on: October 31, 2022, 05:14:03 AM
A little bit. It's stuck upright right in an inside corner of the transformer, so I can only really see the end of it.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: October 31, 2022, 05:30:12 AM
Without being able to see how it is positioned it's a bit difficult to offer suggestions on how to remove it. If you can't shake it out or grab it with tweezers I'd be inclined to try something sticky to attach to it to pull it out. Maybe use a little piece of wire with a wee dab of something sticky on it like a little silicone sealer or honey.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Natural Sound

Offline dstarr3

Reply #5 on: October 31, 2022, 11:46:35 AM
Got it! In better light I could see it was still poking out about half a mil. Got some fine tweezers in there and yanked it out. Thanks, all!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #6 on: October 31, 2022, 11:53:44 AM
Well done!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.