First time builder question

johnphirsch · 1933

Offline johnphirsch

on: October 31, 2022, 08:30:40 AM
Hi All,
Sorry for the rudimentary question. I am building a Stereomour 2 and it’s my first construction. I’m installing my first resistors and am wondering if I can/should trim the leads so the are more direct in my layout. Thanks for any help offered.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: October 31, 2022, 08:36:36 AM
I think you'd have to post a picture to illustrate your question a bit better.   In the broadest sense, the more you can make your build look like what's in the manual, the greater the odds are that you'll end up with a reliable build that works nicely.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Jay

Reply #2 on: October 31, 2022, 09:01:46 AM
I think the best way is to attach the leads establishing good mechanical contact where possible, then soldering, then trimming the excess after soldering.

Jay L.

Offline johnphirsch

Reply #3 on: October 31, 2022, 09:03:11 AM
Thanks Paul. In looking at the pictures closer it’s clear that yes I need to trim the leads a bit on the resistors to have things fit well and mimic the pictures
Thanks.
John

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: October 31, 2022, 09:19:38 AM
Yes, the idea is to get the resistors fitted and bend/crimp the leads to form a mechanical connection, then you can trim the excess after soldering.

You may find watching this helpful.

As a first time kit builder, I would also suggest reading the beginning of the manual which covers these issues in some detail as well.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline IndyNate

Reply #5 on: January 26, 2023, 07:13:26 AM
My only input is make sure your iron gets HOT. I run mine at 800 degrees F. Before running at that temp I had all kinds of issues with crummy joints, all that. Also, IMHO, you must have a solder station. I think like Jay said, I prefer to do a little mechanical crimping first before solder. But, with this when you mess up, it's a lot more work to repair. Ha. Good luck and enjoy!! (don't breathe too much smoke or drink **too** much either while soldering LOL).