Finished First-Time Build

MilderER · 597

Offline MilderER

on: November 08, 2022, 05:21:57 PM
Hi, forum friends. Thought I'd check in to report that after many missteps and much neurosis, I at last finished building my Crack. On first listen, I was mainly just astonished that something I had built with my own two hands could actually play music without any obvious flaws. But as I listened more, something didn't sound right: compared to my Schiit stack, the amp sounded thin and strident; voices came across as artificial and just wrong. My fortunes turned when I found a relevant post on this forum in which Paul advised reflowing all the solder joints. Well, damn if that didn't work. My Crack was utterly transformed. Now I sit listening for hours in a state of sheer bliss, absolutely blown away by the way the amp brings my HD6XX to life.

Thank you a thousand times over to Paul, Doc, and all the good folks on this forum who have been so generous in answering my every question and enabled me to get to this point.

I've included a photo of my build in case anyone here has any constructive criticism or sees any red flags. (I'm particularly curious  whether the lack of space between the 10W resistors is likely to become a problem.)

And finally, now that I've got the bug to build, what should I attempt next? The upgrade power cord? Interconnects? What's the next step in this journey?

Thanks, as always, for any advice and feedback.

-Jonathan

Jonathan M

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: November 09, 2022, 04:04:09 AM
I'm glad you got your amp all sorted out and running.  That sound of a bad solder joint is really something odd isn't it!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Karl5150

Reply #2 on: November 09, 2022, 06:11:39 AM
Congrats on getting it sorted - enjoy the BH magic. Pics of the top side?
Karl

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline MilderER

Reply #3 on: November 11, 2022, 05:18:21 PM
Thanks Paul and Karl! Yes, I'm enjoying the BH magic tremendously--still amazed that after all my blundering I'm actually getting a taste of it. This being my first experience with tubes, I'm having a ton of fun getting acquainted with the amp. Today's learning: warm-up time--lots of it, with music fed through the amp--can make quite an audible difference!

Jonathan M