Looking for a reason to build...

erick.lehnert.baron@gmail · 1876

Offline erick.lehnert.baron@gmail

on: November 11, 2022, 12:31:43 PM
Hi all..

I have the urge to build again..

I have built a Moreplay, a SEX, and speakers with Fostex 8" FE206NV's Folded horn cabinets. This system sounds great. But there is always room for improvement.

I am mulling the following options...
1) Converting my existing SEX to Monoblock (4W?), and buying another SEX to build as Monoblock. This is my favorite option as it allows me to scratch the build itch (Bitch?). Will the Fostex sound better with 4W? Do I still get the same great sound out of the SEX Monoblocks? Finally, is there a build guide for monoblock conversion. I have searched the forum and do not find anything.
2) Buy new speakers - possibly effective but no fun to just lay out cash.
3) Build better speakers. Yea! Build! Fun!... But what? The variables are many. Too many.
4) Combination of the above?

All comments, opinions, review, and links will be appreciated. Have a great day.

Erick

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: November 11, 2022, 01:29:14 PM
I like the monoblocks idea. With that configuration you can easily play with the balanced speaker output configuration I use and see if you hear an improvement in the bass.  Basically you wire the two OT secondaries in series, float the free black binding post and retain the ground on the conjoined red and black post thus creating a grounded center tap for the secondary. Hmm, there may be some changes necessary on the headphone jack. Have to think about that a bit.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 01:30:58 PM by Doc B. »

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: November 11, 2022, 04:09:50 PM
If you enjoy the desktop amp aspect of the SEX and use it with headphones, turning it into a monoblock will eliminate all of that.  Consequently the Stereomour may end up being a superior choice.

The first iteration of the SEX amp was setup similarly to what you're thinking about, though those old SEX amps are pretty hard to come by!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline rockdoc

Reply #3 on: November 12, 2022, 03:05:03 AM

The first iteration of the SEX amp was setup similarly to what you're thinking about, though those old SEX amps are pretty hard to come by!

I have one (two mono amps actually) , from the first run, I 'm trying to figure out what to do with..

Steve T
« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 03:07:51 AM by rockdoc »

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #4 on: November 13, 2022, 08:41:29 AM
If it were me I'd build a Stereomour II and keep the S.E.X. amp for a bedroom or workshop. I have a couple of S.E.X. amps and I love them. Both the 6DN7 and 6FJ7 versions. The one in my workshop (S.E.X. 2.1 6DN7) really gets a workout. But I can say without question that the Stereomour II sounds better. While the stock Stereomour sounds fantastic the available upgrades take it a few steps further. All that being said, you probably can't go wrong either way you go. Keep us updated.

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #5 on: November 13, 2022, 06:05:33 PM
I'm with Natural Sound, I think you will like the  Stereomore with speakers...John

John Scanlon