Coconut Oil Wood Finish?

RenEH01 · 655

Offline RenEH01

on: November 21, 2022, 07:55:08 PM
Has anyone tried coconut oil to finish the wood? I have a bunch of it at home and the wife will give me the stink eye if I spend more money on “fun” items right now. I also have Linseed oil, but I like the idea of using coconut as I’m not allergic to it and I’m allergic to a lot of things.

Offline tsingle999

• We are all here because we are not all there.
Reply #1 on: November 22, 2022, 04:57:36 PM
I have tried both and I wouldn't do coconut again. It seemed to not soak in too well making the wood a bit too oily and then it disappeared too quickly. I have liked linseed oil. I guess that's why many use it.   

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.
Bottlehead Stat headphone amp with Wavelength Brick DAC

Offline caffeinator

Reply #2 on: November 23, 2022, 03:37:31 AM
I second the suggestion of Linseed Oil. It is inexpensive, easy to apply, lasts a long time and can be reapplied from time to time to renew the finish. It is also a major component of many other oil finishes. I would also give a big two-thumbs-up to  Birchwood-Casey Tru-Oil (which is made with Linseed Oil and some other components). Tru-Oil is also inexpensive and is a dream to use.

I have a can of "Boiled Linseed Oil" I've had around for years. Every couple of years, I apply a coat to the wood handles of garden implements (rakes, shovels, wheelbarrow handles, etc.) to keep them from drying out and starting to crack.

Offline RenEH01

Reply #3 on: November 23, 2022, 04:54:50 AM
Thank you for the info! linseed it is.