My search for tubes is over.

lms · 1564

Offline lms

on: November 26, 2022, 02:43:11 PM
Granted, I don't have many pairs, maybe 6, and they are all pretty good. But I decided to splurge, and it paid off in my system. The tubes are NOS Brimar 6v6g coke bottles labeled and boxed as Haltron England. These tubes are flat out amazing. They are very mellow, which is what I like, and I was just blown away with the sound stage and separation after listening to just one song. After about four more songs, it was that clear that these were it for me.

Offline smodtactical

Reply #1 on: November 28, 2022, 06:36:53 PM
Hows the detail and resolution with them ?

Offline lms

Reply #2 on: November 29, 2022, 12:33:20 AM
Great, not excellent. But I like creamy, for lack of a better audiophile term, which I don't adhere to, as I'm not one. I can't stand lots of treble, sharp sounding systems. My old ears can't take it any longer. I also have speakers that lots of people don't like because of the soundstage they produce, but I luv them and stopped looking for others. Same with my power amp, don't need another of those as well because the one I have I love as well.

Offline Bateman147

Reply #3 on: March 24, 2023, 07:29:09 PM
I'd second that it's well worth it to step up to nicer tubes.  I was pretty happy with the significant improvement I got over the stock Russian tubes with several different 6K6G variants, settling on some very nice Ken-Rads.

Until I picked up a set of Sylvania JAN-CHS 6V6GT US Navy tubes from a buddy.  Damn - there's some significant extra magic in those bottles!