Smoking crack after speedball

RenEH01 · 1459

Offline RenEH01

on: December 02, 2022, 05:25:36 PM
I assembled the base crack a week ago and it ran well. I gave it a full week of burn in.

Today I upgraded with speedball and the following happened
1) Got horrible cracking and low level hum
2) Unplugging the unit, the volume pot shocked me.
3) Diagnosed a loose 3U wire due to moving things around to install the nylon washers. I soldered it back in place.
4) Crack was working fine for 30 seconds - 1 minute when transformer started smoking. I turned off the power bar asap.

Any ideas? Pictures in the morning as I’m too exhausted.

Offline RenEH01

Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 05:50:40 PM
Here's the photos. Please let me know if additional photo of particular areas are required.

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 06:11:03 PM
The thing that jumps out to me on your first pic is the untrimmed leads on terminal 20 and 21 shorting out the cap in that position, this will cause mayhem. on your last pic it seems that those leads have been trimmed. Check the fuse and trim all long leads and procede cautiously.

Lee R.

Offline RenEH01

Reply #3 on: December 02, 2022, 08:43:57 PM
Thanks for the help. The picture is a bit odd, the cap isn’t shorted. I did solder the caps a bit odd there though.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: December 03, 2022, 04:53:34 AM
The Speedball manual instructs you to test the installation of the small PC board and to check those voltages before building and installing the big PC board, were you able to complete those checks successfully?

If the power transformer was that unhappy, you may have two green wires touching each other or one green wire touching the chassis or a ground wire, which would cause unlimited current to be drawn from the heater winding without blowing the fuse.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline RenEH01

Reply #5 on: December 03, 2022, 07:32:28 AM
Small board passed checks fine. It also passed big board checks when the ground was loose too. Voltage was 165 Volts, but I was using a not stock tube. OA/OB resistance was around 32 MegaOhm though.

I'll re-check wiring, thanks.

Offline RenEH01

Reply #6 on: December 03, 2022, 08:44:01 AM
Green wires are showing a short to ground. Is this normal behavior? Does it matter which green wire goes to which terminal after the twist?

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #7 on: December 03, 2022, 11:05:03 AM
Twisted green wires can go any way that is convenient. You stated you were not using a stock tube so you might want to remove the tubes and check or shorts and visually inspect for shorts.

Lee R.

Offline RenEH01

Reply #8 on: December 03, 2022, 12:39:43 PM
Green wire short to ground is present with no tubes in at all.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: December 03, 2022, 01:12:55 PM
Yes, the green wire short to ground is normal. If you would like to disrupt that connection, the black wire from the power transformer to #8 solder tab by the IEC power entry module is where that connection is made.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline RenEH01

Reply #10 on: December 04, 2022, 01:05:30 PM
I removed the ground from terminal 8 of the transformer and there is no longer a short to ground. Any other ideas? Can a bad tube cause this?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #11 on: December 04, 2022, 01:27:56 PM
You can run the amp without the tubes to see if the issue is still there. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline RenEH01

Reply #12 on: December 04, 2022, 01:58:54 PM
I put in tubes as you suggested, and with terminal 8 still floating there is not short to ground. Could this have been an issue of cables? Left or right channel shorting to ground?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #13 on: December 04, 2022, 03:24:57 PM
I'm saying that the short to ground from the heater wiring is normal for the amp.  If you put the wire back on terminal 8 of the power transformer, the ground reference will be restored.

If you run the amps without tubes, that takes the C4S boards themselves mostly out of operation, so if you still have operating issues, then the problem is more than likely something fundamental to the stock build.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline RenEH01

Reply #14 on: December 04, 2022, 03:31:46 PM
Thanks, I’ll try it without tubes.