ortofon concorde elite

joralieu · 1703

Offline joralieu

on: December 16, 2022, 05:25:25 AM
Looking for a mm cartridge to use with my incoming eros kit. I saw this ortofon concorde elite reviewed on analog planet. Pretty favorable review and like the plug and play aspect with my technics sl 1200 g. Wonder about the 8.5mv output though, is that to much for the eros?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: December 16, 2022, 05:42:26 AM
8.5mV won't be a problem with the Eros.  Do keep in mind that you're paying a fair amount there for a cartridge engineered for DJ use, where something in their 2M series is likely to perform a bit better as a simple HiFi cartridge.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline joralieu

Reply #2 on: December 16, 2022, 02:30:43 PM
Yes, I thought about that. I also don't think I like the heavy tracking force required.

Offline sl-15

Reply #3 on: December 17, 2022, 02:32:31 PM
In my opinion the main issue is that you are stuck with a cartridge that is just working for this specific tonearm and you have no adjust-ability options at all. What if you ever want to play around with azimuth adjustment or try out how Baerwald alignment sounds on the Technics? While to some that is no fun and might not result in any difference in sound it is just one aspect why I would go for an option that can be mounted in a headshell. Then you can try out different headshells too. But of course the plug and play is tempting. In my opinion not worth it, I would go for the 2M Bronze if you want to stick with Ortofon. Almost the same price but a step up in stylus.

Stefan Hampel
Soundsmith Carmen, modded Technics SL-1200mkII, Thorens TD 125 mk2 with SME V, Eros, Extended Foreplay III, BeePre2, Crack, Pioneer Spec 4, Sonus Faber Electa

Offline Karl5150

Reply #4 on: December 21, 2022, 02:45:28 AM
To add to what PB & Stefan said about sticking with Ortofon's HiFi MM line, if you were to start with the Bronze and decide you wanted to step up to the Black or their special edition Black, it is a simple stylus swap. Just another $0.02; enjoy wherever the journey leads.
Karl 

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: December 23, 2022, 01:21:06 PM

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man