PreBee2 Output Voltage

Dzrout · 1032

Offline Dzrout

on: December 22, 2022, 02:57:04 AM
I just picked up a pre build PreBee with all the options. I love the sound but my system is so much quieter than with my Moreplay. I am wondering what the output voltage of the PreBee 2 is. My amp requires over 2v input to drive it. I’m waiting for the seller to send me the manual but wondering if anybody have any ideas?

Seems that the Moreplay output impedance is 3.2k “at all levels” and the PreBee is 3k “at maximum”

Is this my problem?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 03:24:45 AM by Dzrout »

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: December 22, 2022, 04:24:55 AM
Technically, the BeePre II output impedance is "... 3K ohms at maximum ...",, i.e. no more than 3K (and usually less) - the text is not completely clear. In  any case, that's not relevant when driving the 470K input impedance of the W-5M.

The maximum gain of BeePre II is 6dB (a factor of 2); Moreplay is 9dB (a factor of 2.8). The 3dB difference should be what you are hearing. It's not very much - maybe 2 or 3 clicks of the fine level control, certainly less than one click of the coarse level control. But the Moreplay does not (yet) have the stepped controls, so a fair comparison would be with the BeePre II coarse control at maximum.

The maximum output of the BeePre is 32 volts (if you drive it with 16 volts). It's often important to distinguish gain from maximum output voltage.

Hope that helps!

Paul Joppa

Offline Dzrout

Reply #2 on: December 22, 2022, 05:19:33 AM
I wondered if the difference I was hearing was the lower gain. It’s not bad. Certainly able to live with it. It’s plenty loud, but just wondering if maybe the W5M isn’t a good match for them. I love the W5M but I’m finding myself listening to more and more delicate music. Will likely build a Kaiju at some point.