From Vinyl to Headphones

BarryD56 · 925

Offline BarryD56

on: December 24, 2022, 12:17:26 PM
Hi, I'm new to the forum and to Bottlehead products and have a question to which the answer might be obvious but if I don't ask I won't get an answer..... so,

I want to install a record deck in our bedroom purely to listen to on headphones. I can probably start with a Rega Planar/Lyra MM which can be had reasonably in the UK. I have some older Sennheiser phones, but what I'm interested in is some nice tube(preferably DIY) electronics between them. I've built a simple Fender clone Guitar amp in the past and was interested in trying my hand at audio. Bottlehead looks a good place to start.

My question is two part.
Firstly, are there any one-box options here to take cartridge input and give headphone output. Or will I need a phone stage plus a headphone amp?
Secondly, what specific products give me a decent and well-matched (assuming I need 2 boxes) entry point.

Thank you in anticipation,

Barry Dobson
UK

Offline Mucker

Reply #1 on: December 24, 2022, 02:00:07 PM
A phono stage with competent RIAA equalization is required and can be found very affordably. Units like an Art DJPre II, Cambridge Audio Alva Solo, or Schiit Mani 2 can be had from $50-130 and would work well with your setup delivering a very nice signal to the amp.

A Crack + SB and Sennheiser headphones are a very common pairing. I don't think I have read anywhere where someone didn't think it was a great match. I personally use HD-600 with Crack and it is outstanding.

I think if I were in your shoes and wanted to keep it inexpensive but have a really great experience both building and listening, the above route is where I would go.

Offline sl-15

Reply #2 on: December 24, 2022, 05:41:31 PM
I agree with Mucker but also would point out that you should check if your Sennheiser headphones you currently have work with the Crack. You need headphones with high impedance, at least 150 Ohm preferably higher. Check the specifications on yours and see if they are in a range that works.

Stefan Hampel
Soundsmith Carmen, modded Technics SL-1200mkII, Thorens TD 125 mk2 with SME V, Eros, Extended Foreplay III, BeePre2, Crack, Pioneer Spec 4, Sonus Faber Electa

Offline BarryD56

Reply #3 on: December 25, 2022, 02:21:13 AM
Many thanks, it's as I supposed. Two boxes, one preferred to be the Crack. I have a valve (tube) driven Hi-Fi but haven't yet heard an OTL system so that will be a new experience for me. My headphones are quite old Sennheiser HD530 ii that sound great off my PC sound board and which offer 300 ohm impedance which should be reasonable to drive?

Merry Xmas and thankyou for taking the time to help me. 

Barry Dobson
UK

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: December 25, 2022, 08:02:30 AM
The HD-530 will work really well with the Crack.  If you ever think you might possibly add some small speakers in the space, then it's worth it to move up to the SEX amp so you at least have the option of speakers in the future.  If there's only space for one shoebox sized amp, I'd probably opt for a tube headphone amp and get an inexpensive RIAA preamp to tuck behind it.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline BarryD56

Reply #5 on: December 26, 2022, 09:37:10 AM
Thanks - sounds like I have a way forward.

Barry Dobson
UK