Driver Testing error (RESOLVED)

Urbansandz · 4346

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #30 on: February 03, 2023, 08:46:55 AM
The square solder pad for D2 on the A side on the bottom of the board also appears to be missing. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Urbansandz

Reply #31 on: February 06, 2023, 07:51:27 PM
Thank you all for the suggestions. I replaced the black wire from ba to -reg, repositioned and resoldered the red wire from +reg to IB, replaced the B side R1, and fluxed and resoldered several of the very close soldering points to ensure they weren't touching. I was having some difficulty measuring the B side 431, so I also replaced that again. Paul, you're right about the square pad for the D2 (good eye), I lost it when desoldering an earlier blow out of 90R9F that resulted in blown diodes. The diode seemed to operate OK, so I moved on, but maybe that explains my issues.

Anyway, after all that I turned on the power and still got the ~145 VDC on OA. I left the system on for a bit to perform some testing and then, while not probing the board or components, the 90R9F blew out again. At this point I'm thinking I'll start afresh with a new board and components because simply replacing that 90R9f and affected components might just put me back to square one in trying to locate the ~145 VDC on OA issue. Also, there's enough damage to the board at this point that starting anew is probably the way to go.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #32 on: February 07, 2023, 04:09:40 AM
I would definitely put the flux away too.  Rosin core solder already has flux in it, so there's no need for more.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Urbansandz

Reply #33 on: February 14, 2023, 02:34:37 PM
Thank you all for your help. My Kaiju is now up and running and sounding great.

I received the new board and components, built up the new board, installed it, and I was initially getting low readings on OA at about ~13 VDC, so I replaced the zener chain and after that the numbers were looking perfect. I put last touches on it today and placed it into my system and it's sounding great.